Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I would be very careful if you are going to Big Bend, right on the border, lots of illegals, etc etc etc.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    I would be very careful...
    So shall I.

Thank you!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

BBNP: The Chisos mountains in the center of the park have plenty of trees, predominantly oak and ponderosa pine but these are above about 4,500 feet (I think). From there down to the Rio Grande flood plane you will rarely find anything capable of supporting a hammock. The flood plane has cottonwood, salt cedar and willow. You must use designated campsites unless backpacking or paddling.

There are a few places near the River Road where I don't leave a car unattended overnight, but the probability of violence is very low. I've camped near smugglers. They just want to get on about their business without being noticed.

Check out the BBNP web site: http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Shake your boots out in the mornings kids! My first, and hopefully last, scorpion sting was delivered in Big Bend as a kid. They really, really, really hurt!
    Early Feb. you say? I think I might be up for this. Always nice to go back to my home country. Who's carrying the Lone Star?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Besides the campgrounds, there is the possibility of backpacking and using one of the designated back country camp sites. Then, there is this:

Quote Originally Posted by National Park Service
    Backpacking for Organized Groups

Bringing large groups into the backcountry can pose many challenges, as the chance for negative impacts on the resources of Big Bend increases with the number of people using them. No overnight backcountry camping group or party can be larger than 15 person. In open-zone areas groups larger than 15 must camp in non-adjacent zones (separated by paved or unpaved roads).

In the High Chisos area, a number of designated campsites can accommodate groups, though it may be necessary to split into a number of nearby sites. As advance reservations for permits are not possible, it is best to plan ahead and have a number of alternative sites if your first choice is not available.
    - MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Ok, here is the scoop from Moose, my father, who will be in Big Bend with his RV.

He's not going to be there until March 1. Also, his rig cannot make it up to the Chisos campground.

It doesn't matter where his RV is... he will find us no matter where he is. Are there folks interested in making this trip during March?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'll try to make the trip whenever it happens to be. Big Bend is on my 'to do' list.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    What about Big Bend Natl Park on Mar 12-14, 2010?

That's the second weekend in March.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I've been to BBNP more than a dozen times, growing up in West Texas. There are lots of primitive roadside campsites that you can car camp, especially along the river. 4WD is better but not mandatory unless it is raining and then you better stay away from the washes and gulches. The roads are usually pretty rough and slow going. I wouldn't recomend a car. We usually camped at Solis, along the River Road, which is at the foot of the Mariscal Canyon. In the mornings we drove around to Talley, the head of the canyon, and launched our small rafts, then floated back to camp. A canoe or kayak would be better. There is only one rapid that could be considered tricky and usually a lot of paddling is required to get down river. The Basin in the Chisos Mountains is at 5400 ft and could be a little cool in Feb and is pretty crowded in the hotter months. Mar and April are my favorite times.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    So, Scotty, will you be our guide next March?

Can we hang from trees anywhere besides Chisos?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast