diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

I've done it. Diving into DIY

Just placed my first order with Dutch. And this is my first go at DIY when it comes to hammocking. I want to end up with a full hammock setup done by me. However, the only thing I might just buy is the Kevlar huggers (very hard to sew) and some dutch bling (I don't have a CNC machine!)

First order:

25' 7/64 Silver AmSteel
    25' Grey Lash It
    Splicing Needles - both sizes

My first two projects I want to make are continuous loops and a fixed structural ridge line.

I'm going to use the rest of the AmSteel to make 7' leads when the revised speed hooks come out.

I then want to sew a 10' ultralight hammock. Haven't decided on the material yet.

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    just made a sub 7oz 11 footer with 2 knotty mods out of NylonD. Holds me up but it is a different hang than my 1.6 and 1.9 ozers.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    order placed at 1:37pm shipped at 2:35pm...

another +1 for Dutch.

heycorb, I haven't looked into materials too too much. I was just going to buy a single layer NylonD 1.0 however I feel like it will be too much stretch for me.

I have too look into the hyperd material. I know nothing about it but know it's a good lightweight option.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    I'm being overloaded with information on how to build continuous loops. There is a ton/too much information on here lol..

After reading the 50 page how to build continuous loops in the diy stickies, i'm not sure whether to go with a locked brummel or regular brummel.

I talked to dutch, he said he uses 3.5" buries and no stitching. which brummel does dutch use in his continuous loops? I trust the king of bling as many hammockers are hanging safely with his equipment.

My original plans were to start with a 28" piece of AmSteel

2x 1" taper
    2x 4" buries
    2x 1" Loss
    16" Loop

I don't know if Dutch want's his secrets to be shared, but how are you making your loops Dutch?!

I know, they're just continuous loops, but I want to do things right.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Good choices. It's all about the proper tools.

I tried using brass and florist wires for splicing. It worked but when I got the needles and loop from Dutch it was much better.

Wonder if we should have a thread on basic DIY tools and materials.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've had great luck using wire used to suspend drop ceilings. Pretty cheap at the hardware store for a large spool. It also works great when you are running cord through end channels on quilts.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    I'm excited to get started on these smaller projects. Going to make a ridge line organizer as my first thread injecting project. Going to pretty much copy the dream hammock organizer as it seems simple enough.

What kind of thread are you suppose to use with no-see-um netting?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I really like making stuff with the am steel and zing it. Will definitely throw more in on my order this year too. Last year i made my buddy an adjustable Ridgeline and various fixed loops, soft shackles, and practiced odd ball knots.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Quote Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
    I really like making stuff with the am steel and zing it. Will definitely throw more in on my order this year too. Last year i made my buddy an adjustable Ridgeline and various fixed loops, soft shackles, and practiced odd ball knots.
    I'm looking forward to learning how to splice things. I'm working closer and closer on getting a sub 10lb baseweight for some thru hikes in the future. The more I learn now, the better off I'll be down the line.

I'm trying to build a complete DIY ultralight hammock setup worthy of a thru hike

so far here's what's on the drawing boards.

suspension:
    2x 4" Kevlar Huggers w/ sewn in Dutch Clips - Idk if I want to sew these myself yet.
    DIY 7' Amsteel Leads - I want a loop on each end. One to larks head onto the tree hugger and the other to keep a speed hook from falling off.
    speed hook 2.0's
    DIY 2x continuous loops
    DIY cuben stuff sack - haven't decided if i really need this or not, its light, but I typically just roll em up and toss them in my back mesh pocket

hammock:
    DIY ultralight 10' x 58" wide - after a lot of reading tonight.. hyperd looks promising. haven't decided on a sewn channel or gathered end
    DIY structural ridgeline - my brother has an adjustable so im gonna find the sweet spot then make a fixed
    DIY ridgeline organizer
    DIY cuben double sided stuff sack
    DIY bug net

tarp:
    DIY cuben - going to have an 11' ridgeline, maybe doors
    DIY continous ridgeline with a dutch hook and wasp
    lash it tie outs
    ti stakes
    DIY cuben or no see um tarp sleeves

I already have some nice quilts so I probably won't be making those this time around.

I think I'm going to follow THEBREWGUYS tutorial on continuous loops. I do not know Dutch's method.

his method seems well regarded, however it's going to be a tad heavier than dutch's! 28" AmSteel vs 25"... jeeesshhh

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    I'm not sure there is that much if any difference between NylonD and HyperD. I have both and besides color, you can't tell them apart. Any 1.0 nylon will stretch. When I laid in my NylonD hammock, it stretched a good bit. I'm 165-170 and it held me fine. I intentionally hung it low in case it failed as I had just stitched the channels. It ended up stretching just enough to brush the ground. The fabric is so lightweight it's translucent. Any breeze comes right through it.

Mara 70 works great with noseeum
    Last edited by heycorb; 03-05-2015 at 12:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast