Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The key to getting used to the night sounds is practice, practice, practice. The more you hear those sounds, the less you'll be concerned with them.

I must admit I'm somewhat thrilled to hear the creatures of the night. It's such a bonus when the coyotes serenade me, as they make their rounds at night. I'll never forget a night in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. We were camped on the rim of the canyon and I could hear a group of owls coming up from the bluff. I can sleep through that noise in a semi-conscious state, but when four or five owls ended up smack in the middle of my campsite for a full-fledged hooting duel, I was thrilled to wake up and enjoy it - it was unforgettable!

You can hear it at the eight-minute mark of this trip report.

Love the owls.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Images
    I don't ignore it, it's the music of the woods. Cherish it
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Then I started trying to identify the noises. Two branches scraping over there, identify that noise over there, and acorn dropping over there. After a little while I didn't put much thought into them. No I can rely on a good night sleep.
    Yes! I think this is what initially calmed me in the scouts. It's a game. Still works when I need it to.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Wood knocks!!! Obviously a SQUATCH!!!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    On a PCT hike through Oregon, I usually turned in after dark. You sit there in camp and realize, "I could be hiking" - nothing else to do; so you end up walking till after sunset. It was black dark when I turned in.

But one day - and only one day - I turned in much earlier - just after dusk. I could hear ever twig snap and forest noises that were there or in my imagination. I knew I was being surrounded. Then when I looked out, I could swear I'd see the gleam/reflection of eyes looking at me - dinner? - from the brush around my camp. My senses must have finally fatigued (or came to my senses) to all the simulation and I dropped into sleep.

But never again did I "let night envelop me"; From then on it was star gazing dark before I crawled into my bivi. Weather elements - snow, rain, wind, white outs, etc. I could handle easily. But that night I wasn't sure of my position on the food chain. Or as a The North Face ad once said, "...maybe one of those animals isn't satisfied with its position on the food chain and is looking to move up ..."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I love the noise of the woods!!! Beats the hell out of the car traffic, fire trucks and car alarms I hear on a regular basis. I'll take the sounds of nature over the sounds of humans any day of the week.
    I love camping near running water, very tranquil.
    As for critters, I have no fear because I remember that I am at the top of the predatory chain.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sad to admit, but I've actually been spooked by nearby deer in the night...in my defense, it was a hot humid night with high possibility of thunderstorms so I wasn't starting out in an easy mind to begin with. Getting use to outdoor noise eventually works. Of course in my ground dwelling days, having a moose come in and out of camp through the night had me the most nervous. But those large creatures are quite nimble and we didn't get stepped on.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Back in my ground-dwelling days, I was camping near the Texas/Louisiana border and was awoken by what sounded to me like loud chewing noises. I left my wife in the tent sleeping and exited to investigate. My eyes were blurry and I was disoriented in the dawn light. When things finally came into focus, I discovered our tent was surrounded by a herd of 50 longhorn cattle. It definitely freaked me out (I have a serious cow phobia, and my wife is scared of everything). I had a chat with the cows. I urged and cajoled them to move on before my wife woke up - if she had seen those cows she would have definitely caused a stampede.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Sad to admit, but I've actually been spooked by nearby deer in the night...in my defense, it was a hot humid night with high possibility of thunderstorms so I wasn't starting out in an easy mind to begin with. Getting use to outdoor noise eventually works. Of course in my ground dwelling days, having a moose come in and out of camp through the night had me the most nervous. But those large creatures are quite nimble and we didn't get stepped on.
    Having been woken out of a dead sleep by, what we assume was, a deer, snorting the highest pitched, shrillest, snort and stomping about 4 feet from the hammock, I can't think any less of you for being spooked by one. Scared the living bejeepers out of me. Same night fresh bear tracks had materialize around our hammocks by the morning also. Craziest thing about it was this took place on a tiny island in a river so our friends were probably hiding in the brush right near by the whole time we were up.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    The noises help me feel like I'm a part of my surroundings. I feel included in a way, especially when I hear the DOING! of my guy line being stepped over as the other animals come to check me out. If I stay in the same spot that only lasts one night, and only during the first hour or so of darkness and then the rhythm of the forest lulls me to sleep. Rain on a tarp puts me to sleep instantly. There's nothing like it. I love it!

In a tent, I don't feel connected, but separated, and then I feel more vulnerable. Some people are the opposite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast