Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Okay,

I can't figure out how to do the fancy quotes and replies to posts made up ahead, and I was, "ahem", backpacking into the Pecos Wilderness Area, (Hermit's Peak) This past Weekend.

So I am behind on the posts, but I want to be counted to get Bisquits/Breakfast, and the brisket is going on the cooker tonight, and I'll be an early arriver, (Wednesday Night) (It will just be me this time, no extra Shaffer's)

I have a large pop up tarp thingy I can bring, and a foldable white table. I am seeing that the main eats/pot luck will be at PL #8? So we don't need to haul so much to the lake, right? Or are we breaking it all down for the vehicles to take to the lake?

I'll bring my extra gear, if some need a bugnet add on, or a spare DIY hammock or two. It all fits into a 2X2X3 snap top plastic box. I can leave all that at PL #8, so it won't be necessary to take up space with any of the big stuff.

Sheesh, I'll just get there, and you guys can tell me what to do The brisket is handled

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Okay, it's last minute but I'm going to come out on Friday. I don't care where I camp Saturday. I can't offer much help with supplies or anything, but I have WFA certification and will be doing the hike.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    Okay,

I can't figure out how to do the fancy quotes and replies to posts made up ahead, and I was, "ahem", backpacking into the Pecos Wilderness Area, (Hermit's Peak) This past Weekend.

So I am behind on the posts, but I want to be counted to get Bisquits/Breakfast, and the brisket is going on the cooker tonight, and I'll be an early arriver, (Wednesday Night) (It will just be me this time, no extra Shaffer's)

I have a large pop up tarp thingy I can bring, and a foldable white table. I am seeing that the main eats/pot luck will be at PL #8? So we don't need to haul so much to the lake, right? Or are we breaking it all down for the vehicles to take to the lake?

I'll bring my extra gear, if some need a bugnet add on, or a spare DIY hammock or two. It all fits into a 2X2X3 snap top plastic box. I can leave all that at PL #8, so it won't be necessary to take up space with any of the big stuff.

Sheesh, I'll just get there, and you guys can tell me what to do The brisket is handled

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    I would say that if you are a Thursday arrival and have a pop up, plan on setting it up and leaving it at the lake. If you are a Friday arrival, set yours up for Friday but leave it in your vehicle when you head out on the Hike Saturday morning. That way we'll have them at both locations without taking up cargo space in the shuttle vehicles.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    Okay, it's last minute but I'm going to come out on Friday. I don't care where I camp Saturday. I can't offer much help with supplies or anything, but I have WFA certification and will be doing the hike.
    Coolness abounds.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    In case anyone gets cold, we will bring some Texas Red Chili and Fritos for the pot-luck. (and maybe a bottle of Pepto?)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    mmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm

Frito Chili Pie-------------------

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Some foods are definitely regional. I introduced my family in CA to Frito pie last week, they had never heard of it. But then again a lot of people we have met in Texas have never heard of tri-tip.

Boy am I glad we decided to cheat on our diet this weekend.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post

The brisket is handled
    It's always good to hang with Shaffers, singular as well as plural.

I've got you covered on the biscuits buddy, as well as a brisket warmer.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A little Thursday bidness. Y'all who are slatherin at the chops contemplating the Friday chow, can scroll past this one.

I think the most critical task on Thursday is going to be establishing the water point on the last half of the hike. The water point at the LST Trail crossing on FS223 is going to be easy to get to and we can locate water there with no problem, but we're going to have to hike water in to the other water point.

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/06fournotch_sc.pdf

We also need to be mindful of the fact that we'll need to set up the water points with enough water for the hike in on Saturday, as well as the hike back on Sunday. Some of us are going to be at the Lake early on Thursday, but I think most of us are going to be there after lunch.

How many of you Thursday guys think you want to hike a gallon jug 1.2 miles to the intersection of the LST and the Niederhoffer Loop sometime Thursday evening? We're going to have somewhere around 30 people at each water point on Saturday, and probably a smaller number on Sunday (we can shuttle some folks back to PL8 Sunday AM). If we estimate 8 ounces per person per day at each water point we're looking at a minimum of four gallons at each water point. I figure we can take care of the FS223 point with two 32 bottle cases of good ol' Kroger water, but gallon jugs for the other water point.

Filtering at Boswell is a possibility as well. Dropping near the trail intersection gives us a shorter hike on Thursday PM so we can get back to camp before dark, and its a good recognizable landmark. This gives us the first water point at 1.2 miles, with about 2 miles from there to the next point.

What do you guys think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast