Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    btw, this state park is a alcohol free park and is strictly enforced.
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sounds like maybe she was having a bad day long before picking up her daughter. That seems like an over the top reaction to the idea of her daughter in a hammock. I know I've had days that I was mad at everything and sometimes the trigger for release is very minor. I try to go hide in the woods on those days.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    This is making me more and more thankful I have a Mom that always said 'be careful' and 'call me when you get there' instead of the other responses listed. Hmm, maybe that has a lot to do with the types of trips and things I get myself into now.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    btw, this state park is a alcohol free park and is strictly enforced.
    Wow, not like you were strangers and you took her daughter to a hammock in a brothel or anything!!! If all else fails, just flat out ask her. Tell how much you appreciate her daughter and the friendship she has with your daughter and you in no way want to jeopardize their friendship, so you just want to follow up on her earlier comment. Inquire as to her concern, repeat her concerns back to her, often parents just need to know they are heard. I am just brainstorming some ideas.

Sounds like all the other bases were covered. It can be very difficult, my grandson's father is scared to death of water and as a result he won't let my grandson learn to swim or go canoeing with me, though I was a Water Safety Instructor, taught lifesaving at the college level and have canoed for 40 years. Sometimes folks are just irrational. When was the last time you had a rational conversation with an irrational person?
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    This is making me more and more thankful I have a Mom that always said 'be careful' and 'call me when you get there' instead of the other responses listed. Hmm, maybe that has a lot to do with the types of trips and things I get myself into now.

Coffee, this reminds of what my Dad used to say, "Be good and if you can't be good, be careful." In retrospect, very wise words.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    I would suggest that you have, as another poster mentioned, encountered an irrational response.

You could be dealing with anything from

"I didn't realize what I agreed to, having 3 girls off with only a guy supervising, and since I agreed, I can't be upset about that so I will be upset about something else"

to

"I was talking with a friend over the week-end and they explained that hammocks are really dangerous, strangle babies and cause cancer".

I would suspect something more of the first variety, or maybe a combination, but then I observe a lot of baseless suspicion of adult men just because they are men.

Really, you would have to get the parent to discuss what elements of hammock use she considered inappropriate for her daughter. This would give you some understanding of how she perceives you as irresponsible and potentially set boundaries for any future trips. (And perhaps you might learn something about your daughter's friend that for some reason makes hammocking inappropriate for her. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I am sure that there are possibilities. More likely, you will learn valuable information about the friend's parent.)

However, failing communication, I would suggest that you should probably consider this a "high-risk parent" and not bring her youth on any future outings. Actually, that would be a reasonable response to "failing communication" regardless of anything else anyways.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Coffee, this reminds of what my Dad used to say, "Be good and if you can't be good, be careful." In retrospect, very wise words.
    Your reminds me of my advice to my nieces and nephews. 'It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.' My sisters loved it when I told them that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    Possibly she was afraid that the girls could fall out of the hammock or at least that they shouldn't her sleep alon under there own tarp rather then in a tent next to and adult.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Some people just can't be explained
    The girl was much safer cradled in that hammock than she would be on the ground
    Maybe when you talk to the girl's mom again, she will be more reasonable<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Based solely on nearly 40 years of dealing with my wife, she will take some (Or NONE) minimal info, it could even be on a totally unrelated topic, & deduce VOLUMES of wrong information "Set in stone" on what ever topic. Be it bugs or hammocks, Smores or snakes. And, no matter what, you do not change her mind. Even if her "Information" about Hammocks is based on hearing something about endangered Gibbons.
    Are you married to my sister!!!! Oh, wait a minute, you live in Ohio. Never mind
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast