Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Paranoia the destroyer
    we have nothing to fear but fear itself

thanks for checking back in with the update. amazing how distorted things can get. Reminds me of the game "telephone", by the time the same story gets passed around it is all messed up.
    To think she was so upset, yet couldn't call to check in.??
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    it was i lil crazy but she apologized and told me her daughter could go anytime with us. her husband wants to now try the hanging thing all turned out good
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Hard to figure some folks but hey ... it did all work out and the kids had a great time. It sounds like it'll just be the first of many. Win win situation!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Best lesson learned: Communication is the key! if in doubt, call and ask.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'm a leader in a boy scout troop. On trips, I'll post phone numbers, times, places we stop while on the road, where we're camping, when returning, sometimes even what they're eatting... Some parents need to know everything, some just want the time to pick up their son at the end. There's also been trips where I'm one of the parents at home and if I saw something upsetting on the news (like a couple of years ago, my troop was in DC for the Jamboree when on the news it said lighting strike had killed a scout, I freaked, I started calling all the leaders that were there until I got some info) Other trips, if I saw bad weather coming in, I'd call leaders until I got someone to let them know about it. I just find it odd that this woman heard upsetting news about where she believed her daughter was camping but didn't do anything at the time about it. Course, on the other hand, I've dealt with some pretty sane parents that go totally insane over issues that never happened. The only thing I'd suggest, if you're gonna do any more camping trips with your two girls or with you being the only male present.... teach your girls (& their friends that go camping with your girls) to ALWAYS stay together!! We call it the buddy system in scouting. If one of them has to go to the bathroom, they all go to the bathroom & they stay together!!! One doesn't finish first and return to the campsite without the other. Never ever allow one girl to go off alone, for any reason!! Teach them that even if it's the middle of the night, they must wake up another girl to go with them to the bathroom. And also get all the girls a whistle to wear around their necks. 3 sharp blasts mean help!! They are not to young to learn that there are bad people in this world but that they can, even at their age, be safe and still be able to camp out. Wearing the whistle will give them more confidence in their abilitys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    The woman/mother in question should be offically declared an idiot until she begs forgiveness of the High Hammock Council.
    why? She was told that they were going to a certain park when he really meant a different park. She sees on the news that some guy is checking girls out in the shower at the park they went to. yeah she has a reason to be concerned. Once she was told the correct park they went to it was all good.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Recommended reading. Last Child in the Woods, author makes a case for "nature deficit disorder."

Premise is that with neighborhood "covenants", hype from the press, etc. etc. we have developed an inordinate fear of allowing our children to experience the out of doors and do things away from hovering parents. I have a friend who works in a summer camp and says that parents are demanding cams so they can observe their kids at summer camp to make sure they are interacting, eating, playing, etc. in an "appropriate" way.

Can't remember the name of the author, but he then goes on to postulate that many behavioral issues with children in school would probably be lessened if children were allowed to spend more time out of doors and less time under the "protective" wing of over zealous parents.

Please note that I am not saying that the mother as part of this thread was such a mother. I am saying that the thread raises the issue of how we perceive risk as compared to the real risk. An example is that abduction rates are lower as compared to 20 years ago, yet we hear more and more about it. How many times is a story emphasized over and over in the media because people watch it. We are taught to be afraid, as are our children. Our children need to learn to be independent and safe, and we as parents, scout leaders, mentors, and with friends of our children, need to convey a sense of security that is based on realism, while allowing kids to problem solve and take calculated risk so they know how to problem solve and engage in the real world when they are truly independent.

Hats off to all of you who take kids outdoors. The lessons and skills they learn will be valuable as they engage in the world as adults.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    It's easy not to overreact when you are on the side of the chess board...especially when it's not your kid that is involved.

I know people who don't want to travel or fly anymore because of 9/11. Some people are afraid to go out on the trail after hearing about a crazy who has done harm to someone. IMHO, one cannot go through life being afraid. When that happens the "bad guys" have won.

Mark Twain had a wonderful quote which I'll paraphrase. He said: "I am now an old man...and I have had a great many troubles in my life...most of which never happened"

I'm glad that this all was resolved with great communication...and, now you have more potential hangers to go to the woods with. Bravo!!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    Put all the girls in burka's...Hey I wonder if a burka would make a good hammock with a little modification and rigging?
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling