DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Renegade; Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Undecided

Need the voice of experience on volume

This is my pack. Deuter 55 + 10 SL. I know I did it backwards but its done now.

I have no idea if the gear I want to purchase will fit in this pack. I've never actually seen any hammock gear and I need the valued input of experience and wisdom.

My planned purchases:
    Dream Hammock double layer Thunderbird
    UGC Zeppelin UQ. I want 0º, full length but I'm wondering if going 10º would improve my odds.
    UGC Renegade TQ. Also, prefer 0º but...
    I was planning on the CF Winter Palace but I read about problems with the sun and it's fragility and I'm thinking that's not good for me so now I'm thinking I should go with the DH Winter Dream.

Is it a pipe dream? I really love my pack and don't want another one. Will I be forced to lower the rating of my quilts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    0F full length quilts will take up about 15L each. So there's 30 of your 55.

When I pack my winter hammock kit I use a 90L pack and a pulk sled and when I pack my Fall/Spring 20F quilts I use my 55L

hth YMMV

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Renegade; Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Undecided
    Yikes! Thank you O&B! Looks like I'll Order 20ºs. You saved me some serious grief!

I don't plan on cold hanging anyway, I just thought I'd never get cold in 0º but I can probably make 20s work.

Gratzi!

Images
    A set of 20's really do cover just about all normal hanging temps. They are the most universal.
    Full on winter camping usually means you need an extra coat over pant gloves hats food fuel. It all adds up when the temp gets below 20F.

Here's a few picts of my below 20F kit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7638084087793/

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can tell you my Wilderness Logics top quilt which is 20 rated and my JrB Greylock 3 which is 20 rated will almost stuff into a one gallon tea pitcher. If I had a 1.5 gallon I could cram them in. Now this is cramming as hard as I can. Doubt I could get that tight in a stuff sack.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use a Deuter ACT lite 35+10 and I am able to fit a 1.1oz DL WBBB, a WB Mamajamba tarp, a 20° HG Incubator short, a 20° Zpacks sleeping bag and still have enough space left for all my other hiking stuff. And I don't belong to the minimalist crowd. My pack usually weighs around 33 lbs (with food and water). I dare say, even if you go with the 0° insulation*, you'll be fine, unless your other gear eats lots of space. Down gear compresses very well, especially if you have a compartment in your backpack. I was even able to fit a 10° WL full-length underquilt (which packs larger than my 0° Incubator short) and my sleeping bag.
    ----
    * I'm not saying you should go with 0° insulation. Get what you really need and not more. You knees will be grateful.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiaz View Post
    I was planning on the CF Winter Palace but I read about problems with the sun and it's fragility and I'm thinking that's not good for me . . . .
    The primary attraction of cuben fiber is light weight. If you're going to be hanging at high noon in the blazing sunlight, then any tarp is gonna be hot. I definitely wouldn't buy cuben fiber if I was a car-camper who lounged around all day in my hammock. Besides, hammocks are usually hung in the shade of trees so it's a relatively minor issue.

You don't hear much about cuben fiber's fragility anymore. It was of major concern when cuben fiber tarps first came out, but people have learned it's pretty tough (and easily field-repairable). My Winter Palace has been through a dime-sized hailstorm with flying colors.

A 65 liter pack is plenty big for a set of 20* quilts.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-10-2015 at 11:59.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Renegade; Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Undecided
    Hey thanks everyone for the great insight and advice! I've been doing a LOT of reading through the forum, videos and blogs and am starting to feel like I'm getting dialed in with what I want but this last question of whether or not I would end up with a pile of great gear that wouldn't fit in the pack has been plaguing me.

I know I've got a fun learning curve ahead of me but I was worried about being beat before I started.

Y'all make this a great place to learn!

Images
    Interesting.

A pole turned into a chart of volume people need for temperature and duration might be interesting.

My gear is really for 30-40F with no down and for 2 nights fills my 4500 cubic inch pack pretty full. Once I make some down gear and replace my old fleece jacket with a down jacket I should easily be able to move to a smaller pack.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well atm im packing my weekend warrior kit into a 35 litre fjallraven - copes alright - but JUST - looking at a smaller UQ and switching from asleepingbag to TQ to reduce bulk ....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast