Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    !

I'm not sure if I picture this right in my mind; but my guess is, this is more a solution for wilderness trips. On the Camino I expect to be staying in pilgrim hostels most of the time. I'm not sure if I want to go hunting for sticks on that trip. I'll have to try it on my next backcountry hike, though - thanks
    I'll try and remember to snap a photo of what I mean when I get home but think of it like a marlin spike hitch, using the toggle as the pin.

Definitely a backcountry camping trick, never done anything else. Though you could improvise with pens, pencils, etc if you find them at these hostels.

Enjoy the trip, sounds fun!
    Brady

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    One thing I've done, especially if I have a bunch of clothes I know I'll put up and take down together, is do a marlin-spike with a bit of the clothing playing the role of the spike. I start with tying off one end, adding in all the clothes, then finish by tieing off the other end (I've used a figure 9 biner to help tension it) it works, but it is a bit of an all or nothing endeavor, as removing a bit of clothing adds slack to the line, and you need to have enough rope obviously (I use 3mm climbers accessory cord). It does work in pretty high wind though.
    Next time I'll try the twist method and see what I get, it seems easier.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...ne-for-Less-T/

I've done this in the past and if you are only doing one set of clothes at a time it works well, a friend of mine actually kidnapped mine and has claimed it as hers.
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

Images
    Hutzelbein
    In your original post you mention sowing clips so maybe you already know about these but I did not. I have been using binder clips but do not like the rusty metal getting on my clothes. I picked up a package of Wonder Clips. With a coupon they are 24 for $12.. I think they will work well. I weighed them and got .168 Oz. each.
    http://www.joann.com/search?q=wonder%20clips

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I have a walk on the Camino coming up next month and many pilgrims seem to recommend to take something that can be used as a clothesline to dry the nightly laundry. Being the Dutch addict that I am, I thought I might use some Dutch bling to make something more usable than what is sold by the shops. At the moment I'm planning to take some 1.75mm Lash-It, splice a Dutch hook in one end, and use a Wasp on the other end. I'm still looking for ideas on how to secure the clothes on the line. Maybe simply extra small clothes pegs? Or sewing clamps? I don't see anything on the Dutch website that would fit that purpose - but maybe I'm not imaginative enough?

Has anybody else done something similar and has additional suggestions?

I know this is not directly hammock related, but of course the line is multi-use and I might take a tarp for emergencies as well...
    What did you end up doing for this? I see that Sea To Summit has a product that is close to what I made for myself. I spliced shock cord loops every 8 inches or so over the center 10 ft of a 20 ft segment of Lash-It, twice as long as s2s's and using better materials - at about the same weight as they offer and at 10% of the price!!
    Hope that was a nice walk!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In the end, I decided to take the Bungee Clothesline from Coghlan's. I tried a couple of versions with Lash-It and Dutchware but it was a lot more difficult to set up and didn't keep the clothes as secure. The Coghlan's Clothesline had bad reviews because the plastic hooks tend to fail, but they held up just fine for me. I did take aluminium gear carabiners in case the hooks failed, though.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I forgot: I tried the S2S clothesline as well and didn't like it. It doesn't use bungee, which made all the difference. With the rigid clotheslines, you have to get the correct tension to keep the clothes fixed. The bungee is much more forgiving. It was very quick to set up and pinch the laundry, and even in strong winds I had never come anything loose.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    In the end, I decided to take the Bungee Clothesline from Coghlan's. I tried a couple of versions with Lash-It and Dutchware but it was a lot more difficult to set up and didn't keep the clothes as secure. The Coghlan's Clothesline had bad reviews because the plastic hooks tend to fail, but they held up just fine for me. I did take aluminium gear carabiners in case the hooks failed, though.
    I have used the Bungee clothesline for business travel for years and recently have been carrying it for general hiking. I use it as a bungee on my pack to secure my stool. I made a couple a couple of continuous loops to help in anchoring the ends to objects. The ability to use this without additional clips works for me. I tied using Dutch clips and zing it but had issues keeping items attached to the line.

I did exactly what you suggested in the original post. I ordered a 25ft line of refelct it from dutch with a wasp and a dutch clip, they assembled it for me. I really like it for hanging a luci light and clothes on at night, the reflective line really helps at night too.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Cheep clothesline that works.

Simply go around the first tree with one end of the line until the tree is about in the middle of the overall length of line. Then go to the second tree with both ends, twisting the two lines (both ends of the line) together.

When you get to the second tree, go around it, pull snug, and tie a half hitch or two.

You will then have two lines (connecting the two trees), that are twisted together. Simply put the clothes between the two lines. No clothespins needed. Works great. The twists in the lines keep the clothes from getting loose.

Takes longer to explain it than to do it.
    Awesome idea.. Use a backup guy line and make it a double use item.

I wonder if doing it with shock cord might be a step ahead further preventing the clothing items from slipping loose.. Single use item though.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123