Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    Perfect time to use that spreadsheet I made...
    I'm working on some of the same assumptions as you - I want very light weight but also very comfortable. I'm going to assume a 50º bag will work for you. Insulation is the heaviest part of my current setup.

Let's see...
    Hammock: BIAS Weight Weenie Micro 11ft 56". - 6.5oz ($52.95)
    Bug Net: (If needed): AHE HUG Half-Bug Net - 5oz ($37.99)
    Suspension: DutchWare Whoopie Kevlar 4' - 3.11 oz (with Dutch Clips) ($59.40)
    Tarp: ZPacks Standard Hex Cat-Cut Cuben Fiber Tarp (11x8.5ft) - 6.5oz ($249.99)
    UQ: Zpacks Cuben 3/4 40 if you can find it. (Good luck!)
    UQ: Helium Hiking Static 3/4 UQ - 40º - 9oz ($139) (Not sure if this weight is accurate)
    UQ: Enlightened Equipment Revolt Elite 3/4 UQ 40º - 10.42oz ($260) + an AHE pad for your feet.
    TQ: Enlightened Equipment Enigma Elite 50º (Regular/Regular size. Other sizes available and lighter/cheaper) - 10.14oz ($280)

That'd be my suggestions... Not the 'most' comfortable in the world and especially if it gets cold, but ought to be plenty warm comfy enough weighing in at: 41.67oz or 2.6 pounds for your entire sleep system.

Hammock
    Figuring it out
    Quote Originally Posted by shaq67225 View Post
    I used to be a very ultralight gram weenie, but I began to sacrifice comfort which was a very bad experience. I started to create a system similar to this idea of luxury while still being light.

Dreamhammock Darien (HyperD 1.0 SL 10' x 58')
    Not sure on the exact weight but I think without suspension that's around ~11 oz. The integrated bug net way off your face and is so much more comfortable than a detached one. If you are looking for detached, DIY a SL 1.1 ripstop hammock to your desired specs. You could also make a simple tubular net out of tulle (which is more durable and easier to work with than usually stated).

Tarp - HG Hex Tarp (doors or no doors)

At 5.3 without doors, that's incredibly light with very good coverage. You probably know this, but pick up some dutchware to make pitching it much easier.

Suspension - Dynaglide Whoopie Slings or Dutch Speed Hooks

I used speed hooks until it he stated it isn't safe, so I went back to the ultralight dynaglide whoopies. Get them from arrowhead equipment, and they are under 1 oz for the pair. Dutch's Kevlar tree straps are great, and you can just use a stick for toggles.

Top Quilt - Burrow 40

Since you are going in April, you should be fine with 40*. If you are still worried, add an ounce of overstuff and you will be at 13 oz

Underquilt - Phoenix 40

Again, you should be fine with this. Ounce overstuff will put you at 13 oz as well I think

This is my luxury ultralight system. Has worked great and I'm very comfortable while still carrying a light load. With this system, 3 out of your big 4 weighs ~ 45 oz or ~ 2 pounds 13 oz
    I'm new to this, what 3 out of your big 4???
    shelter addressed here, sleep system addressed here, pack not addressed, #4?
    Last edited by Cookie74; 03-25-2015 at 14:05. Reason: clarity of question

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie74 View Post
    I'm new to this, what 3 out of your big 4???
    shelter addressed here, sleep system addressed here, pack not addressed, #4?
    Yes. Your big three is your pack, shelter, and sleeping bag/quilt. Big 4 would include your pad or underquilt. So in my example we have 3 (shelter, top quilt, underquilt) of your big 4

Hammock
    Figuring it out
    Planning to hike AT in May 2016, probably the SW section of VA. Will I need an underquilt? And it goes outside the hammock, right?

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Of the different hikes I've done in the area the Art Loeb is the only one I kind of wished I had a tent on. Spending a night out on Black Balsam or at the top of Cold Mountain would have been cool! One takeaway from the Art Loeb for me was to be more conscious about where water is available. The trail runs along the tops of ridge lines with fewer streams. I carried 4L up to the Blue Ridge Parkway crossing because the next marked water spot was near Flower Gap.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie74 View Post
    Planning to hike AT in May 2016, probably the SW section of VA. Will I need an underquilt? And it goes outside the hammock, right?
    I'm pretty sure people do the AT with pads instead of quilts. It seems like one of those personal choices (cost can play a factor). Generally UQs are more comfortable but you can't go to ground in a shelter as easily.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I'm pretty sure people do the AT with pads instead of quilts. It seems like one of those personal choices (cost can play a factor). Generally UQs are more comfortable but you can't go to ground in a shelter as easily.
    I'm not sure I agree with the first part of this. The Smokies are the only place where staying in a shelter is required when they are not full.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the first part of this. The Smokies are the only place where staying in a shelter is required when they are not full.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you had to use shelters. I was just trying to think of reasons that people might favor pads over under quilts. Perhaps some people even enjoy shelters?
    -Tim

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    ... Perhaps some people even enjoy shelters?
    -Tim
    Perhaps. And I didn't mean to claim ultimate knowledge either. I just don't understand carrying a shelter as simple as ours and then staying in one with those who snore, are sick, and happen a meeting with mice. HYOH, I guess.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    HH, AGG
    Tarp
    HHhex, WBsuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, diy
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!!
    My son and I did the Art Loeb over spring break a few weeks back. We both hammocked, but not ultralight. We both had old heavy packs, old heavy synth sleeping bags, etc. too much weight for oldsters like me. I now have a postal scale and spreadsheet...looking at many lighter options..

+2 on the water situation. Ridge walk with few water stops. We had to beg water crossing the blue ridge parkway and another forest road. We must have looked dry because they happily donated water. We did have fun and are planning for the foothills trail and AT section this summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast