1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Section Hike of Highline Trail

The Highline trail is a ~50mile long trail that skirts along the Mogollon Rim ("a rugged escarpment that forms the southern limit of the Colorado Plateau"). I decided to do a section of it. Since I was solo, that meant out and back ... about 21mi.

It's always nice to get away from the Phoenix heat. Being at 6000-6800 ft, the weather was comfortable, escpecially under the shade of towering pines.

There were lots of nice views.

And the occassional spring.

I set-up for the night near Christopher creek. The thunder from the impending storm was echoing through the canyon. So I got to hear each burst about 4 times. Even though I setup the tarp expecting a downpour, it never rained. (I figured it was because I took Te-wa's advice and brought along an umbrella. He's right, I stayed very dry.)

I did get to tryout my new flexible/removable ridgeline on the WBBB. It was nice to be able to remove it and sit back without the ridgeline cutting across the side of my head. I also was able to allow MUCH more sag than I could with the standard setup. That pretty much eliminated the uncomfortable gathered material in the transition from the bed to the footbox.

I did have a close encounter with an Arizona Black Rattlesnake on the way out. He (she?) slithered across the trail right in front of me and then took-up this stace on the other side.

Finally, this was the first trip using my new Gossamer Gear 'Murmur'. At 8oz, it was very comfortable!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    The Highline trail is a ~50mile long trail that skirts along the Mogollon Rim ("a rugged escarpment that forms the southern limit of the Colorado Plateau"). I decided to do a section of it. Since I was solo, that meant out and back ... about 21mi.

It's always nice to get away from the Phoenix heat. Being at 6000-6800 ft, the weather was comfortable, escpecially under the shade of towering pines..................
    Looks sweet! You have it made with all of that beautiful rim country available for hiking/hanging!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice looking trip, not so sure about the travel companion, though.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Looks sweet! You have it made with all of that beautiful rim country available for hiking/hanging!
    Rim country in summer and the desert in winter ... year round backpacking ... who could ask for more? It's great!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    OES spin deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps
    Nice photos. The terrain looks amazing. Sometimes I miss living out west. Thanks for the report!
    We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey Hike4WD, there were a few of us AZ hangers hanging in your neck of the woods up at Chevelon Lake last weekend. We got around 20 minutes of sprinkles late saturday afternoon and that was about it. Yesterday I was just mulling over a hike through a section of the Highline in the next few weeks. So where did you hike in from? We were thinking to go in at 260 trailhead and exit at Tonto hatchery (portions that were relatively unscathed from the fire). You're welcome to join us if you're itching for a repeat. BTW, I live in Gold Canyon just off Peralta Rd, so the Supes are definitely in my backyard too. It's about that time of year to start hitting the Supes again.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Hey Hike4WD, there were a few of us AZ hangers hanging in your neck of the woods up at Chevelon Lake last weekend. We got around 20 minutes of sprinkles late saturday afternoon and that was about it. Yesterday I was just mulling over a hike through a section of the Highline in the next few weeks. So where did you hike in from? We were thinking to go in at 260 trailhead and exit at Tonto hatchery (portions that were relatively unscathed from the fire). You're welcome to join us if you're itching for a repeat. BTW, I live in Gold Canyon just off Peralta Rd, so the Supes are definitely in my backyard too. It's about that time of year to start hitting the Supes again.
    I went from the Derrick trailhead to the Highline. Then camped near See spring and went back the Highline to Horton Creek trail. There was deadfall in only a few places. I checked out ~1/2 mile section of the Highline just east of Christopher creek. It too had been cleaned-up quite a bit.

Thanks for the invite, but it's TOO soon for a repeat.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Dan is it?

im going to invite you to join me (us) on a group hike with the Arizona Backpacking Club. You dont have to be a member, you can come as my guest. Im leading the trip on October 10th starting at Woodbury, going up and over Tortilla pass to JF trail, and dropping into a 3 mile off-trail route into Goat Canyon. When we hike thru the creekbed of Goat canyon and go upstream into Fish Creek, we'll camp at that small spot with the intersection of Frog Tanks Trail. Then back to the cars via Roger's Canyon Trail and JF trail.

Andy, myself, and Angelo are all going to be hanging. Consider joining us? we'd love to have you! mike

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great pictures and nice report! Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    Dan is it?

im going to invite you to join me (us) on a group hike with the Arizona Backpacking Club. You dont have to be a member, you can come as my guest. Im leading the trip on October 10th starting at Woodbury, going up and over Tortilla pass to JF trail, and dropping into a 3 mile off-trail route into Goat Canyon. When we hike thru the creekbed of Goat canyon and go upstream into Fish Creek, we'll camp at that small spot with the intersection of Frog Tanks Trail. Then back to the cars via Roger's Canyon Trail and JF trail.

Andy, myself, and Angelo are all going to be hanging. Consider joining us? we'd love to have you! mike
    Thanks, Mike. Yes, the name is Dan.
    Sent you a PM.
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast