Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

No More Yale Pulse -- Seeking Alternatives

Not really a "ridge line" question; but I couldn't figure a better place to put this thread.

Apparently the venerable Yale Pulse 1/16" (aka Speer NoTangle Guylines) cordage is no longer available in bulk. I don't know this but I bet Ed still has some of the 100' shanks available.

The last know source was Hall in PINK; but when I checked with them today they said they sold their last spool last week.

The very helpful Hall rep suggested Marlow Excel Vectran 2mm as an alternative. Does anyone have experience with this line and can compare it to the Yale? Technical specs look good; but what about tangle-free and knot holding characteristics?

OR, does anyone know another source of bulk Yale Pulse? My Google Search Mojo comes up empty.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The last I heard Yale would still manufacture and sell directly in 3k foot spools.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    the marlow pro? is good stuff, poly cover with a poly core. i'll bet the vectran cored stuff is good too, the pro was nice and stiff(almost wirey) nothing has held up like single braid spectra for me though (like samson zing-it)

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the marlow pro? is good stuff, poly cover with a poly core. i'll bet the vectran cored stuff is good too, the pro was nice and stiff(almost wirey) nothing has held up like single braid spectra for me though (like samson zing-it)
    Brandon, what do you use the zing-it for? I purchased some (to add to my collection of cordage) and found it to be very slippery and would not hold a knot very well.

But since they make great whoopie slings, I made a bunch for tarp guy lines.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Images
    If you are looking for tarp lines, Kelty triptease is a little pricy but works great. It's very good about not getting tangled, holds knots great, and can be bought at most camping stores so you save on shipping and waiting.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm not really looking for tarp lines. I'm just curious as to what properties the zing-it line has and for what purpose it's most useful. I couldn't get it to hold a knot. But it was easy to make great whoopie slings with it.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    I'm not really looking for tarp lines. I'm just curious as to what properties the zing-it line has and for what purpose it's most useful. I couldn't get it to hold a knot. But it was easy to make great whoopie slings with it.
    I use its grey brother Lash-It a lot. Holds a bowline ( structural ridgeline) and Marlinspike hitch ( guylines )

Grizz

Images
    what knot's would it not hold? i could see friction hitches not working so well, but i don't use those. i've used it with simple overhand knots to make loops in the end of my guylines, sheetbends, buntline hitches, single bowlines, trucker's hitch tied off with a slipped half hitch or two. that's about all the knots i really use on small dia. line. oh, works well for the msr groundhog hitch too(and holds up to the abuse)

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Like Brandon, I also use zing-it for my tarp guylines, and have not really experienced any problems with knots slipping so far. I've even been able to tie tautline hitches with no sign of slippage.

The one problem I did have was that the zing-it was too thin and slippery to hold well with the small figure 9s I use on my ridgeline. I solved this problem by "cleating off" the line using an extra loop after I have everything adjusted as I want it. Like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    Last edited by Lynx; 09-15-2009 at 01:39.
    Fiat Luchs

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Like Brandon, I also use zing-it for my tarp guylines, and have not really experienced any problems with knots slipping so far. I've even been able to tie tautline hitches with no sign of slippage.

The one problem I did have was that the zing-it was too thin and slippery to hold well with the small figure 9s I use on my ridgeline. I solved this problem by "cleating off" the line using an extra loop after I have everything adjusted as I want it. Like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    From the picture you linked to, the cord looks like Fling-it. Zing-it is a bright yellow. (And Lash-it is grey). Of course, maybe Samson changes colors every so often ... but we may be comparing 2 different cords.

I should probably get a spool of Fling-it to complete my collection.
    Last edited by Scratch; 09-15-2009 at 07:40.
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast