Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images

dag nab it! sewing pains - tips?

Just made a tarp. I spent more time rethreading the #$%#$% needle than sewing hems and seams and tie outs. My eyes are wore out.

What's a good trick for:
    1 - putting the thread through the needle eye? and
    2 - keeping the thread in the needle when you move to another step?

Maybe every other time, every third time, when I would move to another step, the thread would pop out of the needle. I tried pulling out a lot of thread before starting, putting it on the right, putting it on the left, putting it in front, putting it in back, ...

Also - using my daughter's machine, an "At Home", something like that. It seems to have a tension setting for the top thread, currently set at 3. Sometimes the bottom stitching is loose. Should I increase the dial on the top, decrease the dial on the top, or do something on the bottom? If on the bottom, what?

Thanks

Images
    You probibly need to hold onto the top thread for the first couple stitches. That is what I have to do. I usually hold onto it until I start my backstitch.

Somewhere you can by needle threaders. I just either cut and/or lick the end and can get it into the needle hole.

You can adjust both tensions. I would mainly try the top first. I usually try my hardest to leave the bottom alone. The bottom mess could be caused by your top thread starting issues. Also make sure that the bobbin and bobbin case (if you have one) is in correctly. All the times I have had bottom thread issues it was usually something else causing it and not the tension.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    1. You can get real cheap needle threaders, here's a picture of one I used to have
    http://www.hearmore.com/ProdImages/5053555.jpg
    I usually just lick the thread. If I have trouble threading because of some invisible strand I just cut it try again.
    2. When you cut the thread to move to another step I leave about 6 inches at least. Then I hold the thread end down and turn the hand crank until the lifter is in the highest position. That way when you start sewing again it won't yank the thread out of the needle.

The bottom tension should be a screw on your bobbin case. When I get bottom loops I turn clockwise to tighten it a bit. I find it works best if the thread just barely feeds out when I dangle it like a yoyo and bounce it a bit. At least it does on my machine, others may be different.

Hope this helps,
    -Redtail

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have found that the easiest way to keep the thread from pulling out of the needle is to first get you fabric positioned and drop the pressure foot down. Next take the top thread and take it under the pressure foot and pull it around so that the thread exits the back of the pressure foot.

When you do this the pressure foot holds the thread while you start sewing and it keeps it from pulling the thread back out of the needle. It also eliminates tangle of thread that sometimes happens on the first few stitches.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try to stop the needle when it is just beginning the down stroke. You will probably have to do this using the hand wheel. In this position the take up arm will not be trying to pull thread back through the needle when you start. When you have finished a line of stitches leave plenty of thread when you cut it off, about 6" or better. Pull the top thread under the presser foot and back to the rear when starting a new line of stitches and hold it for the first stitch or so. I usually do this by trapping it under my finger. Be patient and it will all come together.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    As said, leave about 6" of thread out the back. Once I put the material under the presser foot and press it down, I then grab the top and bottom threads together and loop them one time around the large screw that's on the left side of my presser foot (it holds the presser foot to the shaft) and then lay the thread to the back. I press a finger on the thread for the first few stitches and then let go.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images

grrrrr

I had the same exact problem when sewing up a tarp of ripstop nylon with the DWR.
    Mine was set on 3 as well...maybe it needed more tenison?

I tried all of the above listed ideas and the darn thread kept coming out of the needle as I would sew.
    Maybe it was the wrong type of thread or ???
    See why I hate sewing.
    Can't cut the fabric evenly, can't sew up a good looking seam...but I can jump a 4 x 4 on a motorcycle without dumping it...LOL

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Will try this ... after my eyes recover ... on the next project. I did get pretty good at threading the needle after a while but it was just so frustrating having to do it so often. My scrap of fabric that I used to check it before sewing on the real project looks like a wooly pin cushion.

Also- you might need a new needle- I have had the threading hole wear out (really!) if I used the needle on too many projects in a row.
    HTH; Betsy

Images
    If the thread is coming out of the needle you are stopping the needle in the wrong position, most likely. The thread take up lever should be all the way to the top when you stop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast