Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who else has trouble sleeping in a hammock?

I have not had a good night's sleep since I made my Speer style hammock about a year ago. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm not a back sleeper, and I haven't been able to get comfortable on my side. Most nights I just sit there. I try to sleep but hour after hour after hour goes by and maybe I'll get 3 hours of sleep our of 8. Most of the time I lie there in my hammock fully awake. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

I'm thinking of making like an 11 foot long hammock to see if that helps.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I think you might be in the minority here, my friend I personally sleep much better in my hammock than I do in my bed, and I've seen a lot of similar experiences posted here.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I can sometimes relate to this. I have been on a few trips where I did not sleep all that well. For me it has nothing to do with the comfort of my hammock. Probably has more to do with being too wired from the hike I recently finished. Like they say you should'nt excercise before bedtime. Alot of times I get to camp and immediately set up camp and try to sleep. Another issue for me is I have been working a full shift and then hiking 5-8 miles to camp and then I have been setting up 2 hammock systems. Mine and my nephews. I'm really wired at this point. I need to work with him on setting up his own.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    do what i do..carry some sleeping meds in case you cant doze off..works for me..

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    do what i do..carry some sleeping meds in case you cant doze off..works for me..
    No thanks. I want to be able to hear that bear as he gets ready to eat my hanging burrito. I do take melatonin but that is for other reasons.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 03-26-2007 at 17:01.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I do take melatonin but that is for other reasons.
    Yeah, I take HTP to help produce serotonin which helps me sleep. But still I don't sleep.

Images

Trouble

I have trouble sleeping if I over exerted myself during the day or if there are strange or loud noises about at night. Ear plugs take care of the 2nd problem.

I'm not worried about being a bear burrito as I stow my food elsewhere. I have heard one outside my tent one night (b4 hammocking). I saw the tracks in the AM.

Hang in there; it'll come together after a while.

Egads

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have just spent ten of the last fourteen nights out back in the hammock. I would rather sleep there than in my bed. I only hope this is not grounds for divorce in the state of North Carolina.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some folks just aren't comfortable in hammocks. Maybe you're one of them.

I don't have any problems sleeping on my side, but sometimes I need extra padding...like a clothing-filled stuff sack between my knees to take pressure off of my hips and back, or sometimes a stuff sack under my waist to take pressure from my lower back, etc. Same stuff that works in a bed can help in a hammock.

And part of it is in my head, too - on the first night of a trip I often can't fall asleep just b/c I'm so stoked to be out there. And when my kids are there I'm always checking to make sure they're not sweating or cold. In the beginning, it took a while to get to sleep b/c a hammock is a new environment that I had to get used to. And learning to trust the gear, too. That didn't last long for me though.

So the first step is to make sure you comfortable in the hammock. Make sure it's long enough, play with the sag, etc. Try using pillows (clothing-filled stuff sacks) just like you would in bed.

If you still can't sleep after you're comfortable laying in the hammock, try earplugs or headphones, or schedule some "wind-down time" with a warm drink by the fire before bed, etc. Like I said, anything that works at home will help in the field.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Yeah, I keep wondering if it's the new environment thing. Also most any noise will keep me awake. I may try earplug.

I want to stick with hammocks if at all possible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast