Down quilt fabrics and snagging feeling??

I'm looking to build more quilts and have questions/concerns about fabric choices.

The only one I've built to date has been with 1.0 hyper D. The fabric seems strong enough but I find my rough fingers feel like they are constantly catching the fabric. Firstly it is annoying but mainly I'm concerned this is going to have an affect on the long term life of the fabric. I don't believe my 1.6 hyper D hammock snags like this, neither does my heavier synthetic sleeping bag.

For those of you with more experience is there other fabrics that do not snag like this? I'm looking for something that will last a long time, not as worried about being the absolute lightest. If RSBTR had 1.6 calendared I'd go with that.

thanks guys.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have used a variety of nylon fabrics for down quilts, ranging from 0.67 to 1.1 oz/sy. I've never found snagging to be a problem, but I haven't used Hyper D 1.0.
    I guess my point is that you don't have to go to a heavier fabric to avoid snagging.
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-17-2015 at 10:27.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    I'm looking to build more quilts and have questions/concerns about fabric choices.

The only one I've built to date has been with 1.0 hyper D. The fabric seems strong enough but I find my rough fingers feel like they are constantly catching the fabric. Firstly it is annoying but mainly I'm concerned this is going to have an affect on the long term life of the fabric. I don't believe my 1.6 hyper D hammock snags like this, neither does my heavier synthetic sleeping bag.

For those of you with more experience is there other fabrics that do not snag like this? I'm looking for something that will last a long time, not as worried about being the absolute lightest. If RSBTR had 1.6 calendared I'd go with that.

thanks guys.
    Thanks for the feedback Brewguy. Do you know when you got your 1.0 HD? Also what color do you have? We've tweaked the calendering process between lots over time to give the fabric a better feel. I agree with MAD777 every fabric is different and you don't have to necessarily go to a heavier weight to get what you want.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

I bought it right before Christmas. Snagging might not be the right term. My fingers get pretty dry and cracked. I get the same thing with knit shirts. It isn't pulling the fabric, just like they slightly catch or hang on.

Color is deep purple and robin egg blue.

I assumed it has to do with finer threads.

I don't think the fabric will fail or anything like that, it just bugs me. Hehe. It's on my daughters quilt and she has nice hands...

Kyle can you find one of your guys with rough hands and see what they think?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Have you considered using hand lotion to treat the dry skin instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Have you considered using hand lotion to treat the dry skin instead?
    haha.. I do. I feel this is a valid question. I have limited experience with all types of fabric but so far the 1.0 is the only one I have this problem with.

I have an update. I got some Argon 90 and it feels really nice with none of the snagging. I don't know what it is about the hyper D 1.0 but I don't think I could handle it for my own quilt.

• + New Posts