Tarp
    Edge; DIY
    Insulation
    Greylock 4, DIY ++
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling ++

DIY Tablecloth Tarp?

Hey Guys,
    After seeing the post about the Tablecloths Factory 40% sale today I started wondering if I could make a DIY tablecloth tarp out of a 90"x132" crinkled taffeta tablecloth and use the DIY sil methods explained in this DIY thread. I searched the to see if there was a previous thread mentioning it and didn't see anything about it. Anyone tried it before? Does a sil method work on polyester? I'd go back and search for that specifically, but that thread was painfully long to read the first time through
    Yes, I know it would be heavy and it isn't a cat-cut --- but, as a back up for one of the boy scouts or a buddy who wants to try hanging it might be a decent alternative (if it would work).
    Thoughts?
    -dbass

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I would just use a 4 mil plastic painters dropcloth. You can put cat cuts in it if you like
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbass View Post
    Hey Guys,
    After seeing the post about the Tablecloths Factory 40% sale today I started wondering if I could make a DIY tablecloth tarp out of a 90"x132" crinkled taffeta tablecloth and use the DIY sil methods explained in this DIY thread. I searched the to see if there was a previous thread mentioning it and didn't see anything about it. Anyone tried it before? Does a sil method work on polyester? I'd go back and search for that specifically, but that thread was painfully long to read the first time through
    Yes, I know it would be heavy and it isn't a cat-cut --- but, as a back up for one of the boy scouts or a buddy who wants to try hanging it might be a decent alternative (if it would work).
    Thoughts?
    -dbass
    Just be aware that tablecloth fabric weights about 2.6-2.7 ounces per square yard by itself. So adding your diy silnlyon treatment to that will increase the weight further. There is also the additional work of making tie out points to pitch the tarp.

There are better and easier fabrics to work with for making a tarp using the DIY silnylon treatment.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think that tablecloth fabric has a tight enough weave to make a tarp out of. Thats my opinion, but I am no expert. Better to use regular ripstop nylon to make your own, or just buy silnylon, as you do not save that much money making your own. But, in the spirit of DIY, you can always try!! Thats the fun part anyways.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I had asked basically the same question a few months back. The material I was considering was some polyester fabric that was pretty inexpensive. Most of the answers had concern about the strength of the fabric. I went ahead and tried it out but I didn't do the DIY silicone treatment (although I have on both 1.1 and 1.9 ripstop). I thought I would test it before doing the soak method. After a few days set up in the back yard, I noticed some drooping so I tightened up the guylines, I then noticed that there was a rip where one of my ridgeline tieouts was. Not a huge rip but 3 or so inches. I determined that it was a "fail" and didn't go ahead with the silicone treatment. Your results might vary but after that I noticed Kyle at Ripstop By The Roll had some 1.1 oz that was very reasonable so I wound up going that route. That tarp came out OK and after that, I just starting buying silnylon. Your's might turn out different but that is my experience. Good luck!
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

• + New Posts