WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

overnight trip to FDR state park/pine mountain trail

Hey guys, I just got back from a great trip to FDR state park---hiking and camping on the pine mountain trail! Great weather---80 degrees and very dry during the day, and in the low 50s at night. I got off from work , drove home and got my pack, and then drove to the park. (its about 40 min from my house--been there a gazillion times, but its really convenient and always enjoyable!) I parked at the picnic area at Dowdells knob, and then hiked to Brown dog bluff to spend the night. Beautiful evening--I didnt even bother to set up my tarp---spent the night under the stars in my wbrr! Had a can of chicken mixed with knorr brocolli and rice mix for supper. I slept in the next morning, and after a very lazy breakfast of oatmeal and cocoa, packed up and hit the trail! It was a beautiful day, and I was in no hurry at all, so I had a very relaxing day on the trail---hiked the loop around Dowdells knob, plus a side trip on the trail to check out a couple of campsites I havnt been to for a long time. (Bethel creek and Whiskey still) A big tornado came thru this area 4 years ago---really messed up several hundred acres of forest. Many thanks to the folks at the pine mountain trail association for clearing out all the downed trees on the trail! (I really need to get out there and help you guys some time!) Thanks to the tornado, an area that was heavy deep woods, is now very open and a tangled mess of timber. I hiked this area one foggy morning a few years ago--it kind of looked like a WW1 battle field in France 1914! (very eerie looking!) On the way back to the car, i had a nice lunch and conversation with a dad and his 2 boys---they were hammock campers too--so of course I had to tell them about hammock forums and Shug emory! All in all, it was a great trip---I came home well rested, rejuvenated and of course I cant wait to go back! It was so relaxing to have time to read, sleep, rest and just plain zone out looking at the woods with out distractions and noise! (I really , really needed a break!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    That looks like great fun, Stevebo! I grew up in Columbus and spent a lot of summer days swimming at Calloway Gardens, and I have driven on the road over Pine Mt., but I never hiked up there. Heck, I never even knew there was hiking and camping available up there.

BTW, in your picture, which one is FDR?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great hike. I've been meaning to get over there for a while.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It really is a great little trail! (and by far the best cared for and well marked trail Ive ever been on!) the Pine mountain trail association does a superb job! (FYI billy bob, Im the one with the red beard! People do all kinds of things with FDRs statue--I've seen girls kissing the statue, people sitting on his shoulders, etc. I even saw some guys sharing a beer and a cigar with FDR! Its got to be the most photographed statue in GA!---------makes a great family picture!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    OK, that does it. I've got to get down there for a weekend soon. I live way too close not to.

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    It's a great trail. I've hiked and camped there many times. Unfortunately, the last time was 25 years ago, without hammocks. I've got to try it again, the "right" way. Thanks for the reminder.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The only "drawback" to the Pine Mountain trail is.................you have to get a permit from the office, and you can only camp in designated sites. (I usually have off days during the week , so most of the time when I go there is no one there---but on the weekends it can be quite busy) I've never had a problem, but there is the possibility of getting to a busy campsite, and having trouble finding a good spot to hang. Some of the spots are pretty big, some are kind of small. My personal favorites for hanging are Sparks creek, Big oak spring, Browndog, and old sawmill. (plenty of trees to hang from !) Pre-trip recon is always a good idea! (or send me a PM and I can offer an opinion!)

--unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    looks like a good trip, Stevebo. It's so nice to have some good woods closeby. Thanks for taking us along.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Our Scouts (T143) were down there at FDR this weekend.

They came back pretty muddy from this morning! SM said it dropped 20degrees overnight when it rained at 10pm on Saturday and didn't let up until they left today.

• + New Posts