Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY (&c.)

Exclamation the basket hitch (or: choker hitch considered harmful)

It appears that the choker hitch is in common use for tree attachment by many who seem interested in reducing weight; however, the choker hitch is rather weak.

The basket hitch is much stronger and it should be used in preference to the choker if strength-to-weight ratio is important.

comparison of sling hitches

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Good stuff to know. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Yeah, but if you read this, it appears to say that if you don't cinch the biner/Dutch clip/webbing loop around too far, then you don't lose any strength... I think that's what it says anyway...

Confuddled,
    Acer

EDIT: Just reread it a couple more times, and it's not contradictory. It's a more detailed explanation of the 75% choker sling number. If you cinch the buckle/biner around the tree too far, you start losing even more strength.

Less confused,
    Acer
    Last edited by PuckerFactor; 09-27-2009 at 23:07. Reason: more info
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Images
    most folks are using webbing and biners that are plenty strong, this allows one to use the most convenient method rather than worrying about which way is strongest, if you're getting anywhere close to the break strength of the webbing or carabiner in ANY configuration you should be using stronger materials. if you're using 1500# webbing and 1100# biners you probably don't need to worry about the configuration. since you'll be hard pressed to put more than double your bodyweight on your suspension.

still, good info to know.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Well, with the straps I'm using (900lb MBS Big Lots special), this brings them down into the start-to-question-them range. I'm only 180, but I want to have a good bit of leeway. And i'm also in the process of making a hammock setup for a buddy of mine, and he's in the over 300 club, so this is very important for his setup...

YMMV,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Images
    i'd use some decent polyester webbing. something like the 1" camo polyester from owf is lightweight and rated at 2000#. the added strength means less stretch as well.

if you don't put a choker around the tree, the webbing will often not grip the trunk, but rather slide down the trunk once weighted, and you don't want that.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ... if you don't put a choker around the tree, the webbing will often not grip the trunk, but rather slide down the trunk once weighted, and you don't want that.
    I completely agree with this statement. I'd hate to roll over in the night and have one end of my hammock go for a scoot down the tree

I'm also not sure how the data equates to suspension from a tree as compared to lifting a sling load. Some different factors come into play.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    What about just doing another wrap around the tree, doubling the wraps? Would'nt hat double the strength?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    What brandon was getting at is the fact for our use we are not even beginning to exert the kind of stress forces on the suspension system that would compromise the strength of the webbing. The examples linked to in the first post are for crane rigging. I know that like my self Brandon has a climbing background, and in that sport we deal with the sorts of stress forces that if not properly checked could mean your life. The linked article was trying to show that the stress increases dramatically on the suspension with a tighter rap angle. In climbing this can push the force beyond the working limits of webbing. But relative to hammocks, even the biggest guys out there are not going to approach the limits of the gear we are using. And yes there are some cheap options for webbing, be it harbor freight ratchet straps or what not. But the webbing Brandon suggested is not that pricy. I just got 45 feet from OWF for under seven dollars.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    should note that 1" polypro webbing (which some use) is pretty weak and can be(and has been) broken.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast