Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    Yes the length of the bury is your limit between trees and it can be an issue.
    What I did to minimize this was to make the fixed end first, attach it to the HH, and then make the adjustable end. I still have the length of the bury, but this let me start the bury very close to the physical end of the hammock. (This makes my minimum limit just a bit more than the length of the hammock plus the two buries.) Then I attached the prussics for the tarp to the fixed side of the adjustable loop, but nothing prevents me from quickly removing the tarp and attaching it separately.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If it was my hammock I'd tie in a descender ring just past the attachment point for the tarp. Clove hitch with a half hitch stopper and 6 inches or so of tail as a drip guide. Do it on each end. Then attach anything you want to on the ring. You should try at least whoopee's and straps. It costs a few dollars for the rings and an ounce or two of weight but the original suspension is maintained through the important parts of the hammock body. It also sets you up for a frame with a couple of good hooks. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Several vendors sell a cinch buckle system. Would that work with the tarp?
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Several vendors sell a cinch buckle system. Would that work with the tarp?
    Yes but. If you put the cinch buckle on using the existing suspension lines to attach the buckle. That assumes the buckle wiill handle the rope on the hammock and that depends on the hammock. You can replace the rope at the hammock but that involves messing around in bad places. That is part of why I advise using the rap rings as terminators. They do not add much in weight or length and they provide a good attachment point for trying various suspensions.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Yes but. If you put the cinch buckle on using the existing suspension lines to attach the buckle. That assumes the buckle wiill handle the rope on the hammock and that depends on the hammock. You can replace the rope at the hammock but that involves messing around in bad places. That is part of why I advise using the rap rings as terminators. They do not add much in weight or length and they provide a good attachment point for trying various suspensions.
    I think you're making it too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoMike View Post
    I've got continuous 8" Amsteel loops at both ends with rappel rings. Then I attached the stock cordage to the tree huggers, wrap around tree and run the cord through the other sewn end. Works great on my HH Explorer Deluxe zip. Same with my son's HH Cub. The tarp has its own line at either end that I use the small aluminum figure 9s on. Then a section of bungee cord first with stock cord atached to that for the tie outs on the corners. All in all it works pretty darn good. Will be updating with some Dutch bling soon though.
    Thanks! I'm starting to lean towards this solution, but I think I will start with the rappel rings on the tree huggers. Less modification to be done. But I guess there is an advantage to have the rings under the tarp.

I wonder what I should do with my whoopies then. Maybe I will sew myself another hammock!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    I think you're making it too complicated.
    Continuous loop easily replaces the rope, but I kinda see a flaw with the cinch buckles. Any side loading, as with and added tarp ridgeline, could tilt the buckle and cause problems with the strap bunching up. Nevermind...

I use these with the stock suspension ropes. Zero bunching, no slipping, and easy to set tension. Cost about 5 bucks each at Walmart.

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey.Smedley View Post

I use these with the stock suspension ropes. Zero bunching, no slipping, and easy to set tension. Cost about 5 bucks each at Walmart.
    I do too except I bought pricey rings and carabiners from Amazon. Well, you need good biners but I also bought Omega Pacific rings that were pricey. I like the system though. I did have a lot of slippage one time. I fiddled for a while and got it to stick although I never really figured out what the problem was.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I've now tried the rings on the treehuggers and I quite liked it. Really easy to adjust and the modification was so simple. Weight is the only problem. I bought cheap steelrings.

I also did sew my own hammock too and put whoopies on that one. Seems to be the most weight efficient system and it is hard to resist the beauty of a whoopie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12