WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Three Ridges Wilderness – GWNF, March 21-22

Late winter/early spring often makes for some great backpacking in the Blue Ridge. Mild temperatures, warming sunshine, cool nights free of buzzing bugs; it lacks only the fall foliage that makes for the pinnacle of scenery in this region. As this time of year coincides with fellow forum member Hang em’ High’s birthday, it makes for a good excuse to get out with some friends on what is usually the first trip of the year. The trip was pushed a bit later than usual this year but considering we had snow on Friday the 20th, it paid off. With high temperatures in the mid 60’s and low 40’s at night, conditions were perfect. The foliage free canopy of the tall hardwoods down in Campbell creek made for great viewing of the bright stars in the cloud free sky.

Typically we will start an e-mail chain with a few friends from all around VA and will end up with a group of 5-7 who can make it based on their schedule. This trip ended up with more and more people responding they were on board and we ended up with a group of 12.

We set off to do the ~14.4 miles of the Appalachian Trail – Mau-Har loop. Starting from the trailhead at the intersection of Skyline Drive and VA RT664, very shortly thereafter you start a steep ascent which is quickly rewarded as you hike along a relatively narrow ridge with great views on either side. We then proceeded down to the intersection of the AT and Mau-Har trail at the Maupin shelter.

This area has tons of camp sites and a virtually infinite number of places to hang a hammock.
    Continuing down (Or should I say up!) the AT we made a few stops at some of the great vistas. Here is a great spot where we took a moment to enjoy the view and decide where we were going to stop for lunch.

From this point we decided to push on to the highest point in the hike to stop for lunch, that turned out to be a good decision because here to the peak was a fairly strenuous climb that would not have been fun on a full stomach.

Many of the views are obscured by forest growth; while they don’t make for great photos they are certainly beautiful and impressive in person.

We then pressed on downhill to the Harpers Creek Shelter. This is a great area with numerous campsites however it was early in the day, already well occupied and we wanted to continue on so we would have less mileage out on day 2. We pushed on to Campbell creek and at this point even the most seasoned hikers of the group were ready to call it quits. The rocks and elevation changes made for a challenging ~10 miles with full packs.

I was the first to arrive at camp and there was already one person setup in the area. He had generously strewn his gear all about the largest camp site occupying an area that could easily accommodate 4 good size tents. He was personable enough and I’m sure we could have imposed on him to consolidate his area, but we prefer not to do that. Had we all been in tents it would have been an issue. Since we had 7 folks in hammocks and only two couples and one solo among three tents, we could make do with other spaces in the area.

The ground dwellers found a few flat spots in the area:

We then filled in with the hammocks, and they were well represented!:

Hang em’ High’s Clark NX250 w/HG Incubator 20:

A Hennessy Exped Asym Zip w/HG Incubator 20:

A Clark Flex180 W/Clark Vertex tarp:

A Eno doublenest w/Eno Vulcan UQ:

A Yukon w/hobo tarp (and a SRL that looks a bit short IMO):

And last but not least my WBBB XLC w/HG Incubator 20 and superfly:

(And the shelf in full use!)

Overall it was a good area to camp with plenty of running water, which also drowns out the sound of those who may be stumbling around in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature.

We woke up in the morning and took our time. Two of the group from VA beach decided to head out ahead of the rest as they had the longest drive home, so they missed the group photo:

We packed up and set off heading up Campbell Creek on what is fair to say is a strenuous section of the Mau-Har trail. While it is not the easiest section of trail, the waterfalls and rock formations on the way up help distract you from the virtual non-stop climb back to the junction with the AT.

This sign would be more beneficial on the southern end of the Mau-Har in the uphill direction of travel…

Overall it was a great trip, with a great group and some sore feet to prove it!
    Last edited by JMBdevotee; 03-23-2015 at 10:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    nice! I wish I could've gotten out to enjoy the lovely weather this weekend. I love your first vista photo --pretty impressive view. did you guys see any early thru hikers?

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Good looking trip...
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    What a great trip! I'm envious of both the trip and the weather. I'd made a day hike to the first part of the trip in late December. Views to the east were striking much as you experienced. From your commentary, it sounds like there were a lot of folks hiking in the Three Ridges Wilderness this weekend. Your group sounds like everyone had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Very nice! Three Ridges is without a doubt my favorite backpacking area in Virginia.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Single Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I bet those pups had a great time! Thank you for sharing, I've never experienced a winter that is cold yet has no permanent snow on the ground. Lots of melting to happen here before I get out for real. At the tail end of my snowboarding season though, reading all of these trip reports is getting me really antsy for my CT thru hike this summer.

I can't wait to get out to a group hang and see all of the different gear/methods of doing stuff in person!
    Keep on keepin' on.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    did you guys see any early thru hikers?
    We did not. We only saw two hikers going northbound on the AT, they were about 2/3rds the way up the non-stop 2K' elevation climb and were not looking very energetic!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great photos and looks like an awesome time! Thanks for sharing dude.

Fronkey

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing. I especially like how you labeled the hammock pictures this will be helpful for new people.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    The hike was great. I am still a tad bit sore but I should be back to full duty soon. I felt like the ups were bad and the endless downs were worse. I am glad we pushed past Harpers Creek because starting out that 3 mile Mau-Har section on day 2 would have been brutal. We had 3 new hammockers on the trip. The guy in the Flex 180 and his gf and the guy sleeping like a Z in the Yukon. BTW, the Yukon is the hammock I received from the secret spaceweasel this year. He needs more practice as he is clearly sleeping in a hammock wrong. The Flex 180 owner said it wrecked his back and was committed to selling it as soon as possible. I have convinced him to give it another try because maybe sleeping your first night ever in a hammock was not advised after such a strenuous hike.

~HEH

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast