Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    I can without hesitation tell you that ALL figure 9 products by niteize are capable way way way beyond their listed recommended weight loads. They are ultra conservative about the weight loads they rate their products for.
    Does that include the plastic ones?

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    hey, the plastic ones are surprisingly tough also. Just not practical when
    compaired as a weight to strength ratio of their aluminum brothers.

I'll reserve a maple syrup locally brewed real canadian beer for anyone foolish... erm ... brave enough to post pics hanging from a plastic fig 9.

(made payable at some future group hang)
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've broken the plastic ones using them with a tarp, so I would strongly suggest not hanging from them

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    I would immediately ask any of these nay-sayers if they are speaking from any real-world actual research experience or simply spouting from infinite armchair wisdom.
    nay-sayer full of infinite wisdom here!
    Other points of "infinite wisdom"...
    ~I change the oil in my car at recommend intervals.
    I'm sure the oil still has some good usage in it, but the potential damage to my car isn't worth finding out.
    I've never tested this one either
    ~I use my sleeping bags close to their rated temperatures. When the temp falls out of a safe margin from the recommended temp, I simply use my next colder bag (or even just add clothes...)
    I could just tough it out and see how many degrees it took before I became hypothermic, but I came too close by accident once...don't want to go there again.
    I guess you could say I've accidentally tested this one.
    ~I have to ride an elevator everyday at work. Most mornings we have to wait in line to get on. The elevator has a weight capacity limit of 3,000 lbs (there is even a buzzer when the weight limit is exceeded)
    I'm sure we could override the safety system and fit another 2 or 3 people per trip on the elevator. Again, I'm fully confident that the 3,000 lb limit is terribly conservative. But what is the risk vs. reward? Saving 5 minutes a morning and risking the deaths of 15 people? Kinda like pushing the recommended weight limit of the niteize (without the death part) to save a couple grams.
    Never tested this one either. Never will.

In conclusion, it appears that I'm a complete conservative who has a bad tendency to actually believe what manufacturers tell me the limits of their products are without feeling the need to prove them wrong.
    I can't believe I answered someone's question based on that...silly me.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I was hanging for a while on clip rings rated at 300# a piece. They never _failed_ but I stopped using them when they pulled out of alignment so the gate did not close properly. The mantra around here is "Hang you own hammock!" Feel free to hang from safety pins if you want. But I do get rather amused at people who ask questions because "we have the answers" and then proceed to challenge the collective wisdom of the group. It won't be my backside that hits the ground. If you don't mind it being yours then give it a try.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    ~I change the oil in my car at recommend intervals.
    I'm sure the oil still has some good usage in it, but the potential damage to my car isn't worth finding out.
    I've never tested this one either
    Real world experience with this .. After I read the results of a test using New York City taxi cabs in the early 90s, I now change my oil every 6 to 9 months. The New York taxi cab test? They took a lot of New York city taxi cabs and split them into 2 groups:

1. oil changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles as recommended by the car maker
    2. oil check at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months. Changed at 12 months irregardless. No mileage limits on oil change.

At the end of several years and several hundred thousand miles per car, the engines were torn down and examined. The results: there was no comparable difference in the 2 fleets regarding engine wear and condition. Individual cars had more or less wear as would be expected, but when considered as a fleet, there was no difference.

The testers wanted to know if the car maker's recommendations were still valid since they had not been changed for decades even though the engineering and manufacturing of engines had undergone a lot of refinements and improvements. Also, the manufacture and composition of engine oils had undergone decades of improvement and the oils were far superior to those made when the car makers decided on their 3 month, 3,000 mile recommendations.

The testers conclusions were that the car makers recommendations were simply the result of inertia on their part and probably the fear of liability if they changed the recommendations and somebody really abused their vehicle and then sued. It may be that the car makers have repeated extensive tests on their engines and continue their recommendations based on their tests, but, personally I doubt it.

Of course, it could be possible that the test results are only valid for New York City taxicabs in New York City itself. Elsewhere, the 3 months, 3,000 miles change is still necessary.

For myself, I have never had a mechanic say anything about the condition of my oil when changed. My current vehicle has almost 100,00 miles on it, still gets the same gas mileage as when new and purrs along silently. I did have a mechanic make a comment on the oil condition once in the 90s. I was using an Exxon oil that was midnight black when brand new. When the mechanic changed the oil, he immediately said that I should change the oil more often since the drained oil was really, really black.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    TeeDee,
    Thanks for the info...interesting test. I had not heard of that one.

I've spent many hours researching oil change intervals...talk about a subject that people do not agree on! WOW!

Anyway, I commute 30+k a year so it is advantageous for me to get longer change intervals.
    As to not start another thread, I exceed the 5k mile change interval recommended by my car manufacturer. Then of course, I also exceed their recommended oil
    Note: I said I change at recommended intervals...I didn't specify who recommendations I was following!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    loving this thread!
    another mantra- never hang higher than you are willing to fall
    and this is in a sense another advantage of the Warbird..with the HH hammocks I'd string it shoulder high-loved the ability to get in at this height-with the Warbid it hands lower so naturally less distance to plummet if given the chance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12