BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

HH Suspension - Niteize carabiners?

I'm a newbie. Waiting on my HH Exped with a 2QZQ Mod 3. I saw some niteize figure 9 carabiners that I think would be perfect to hang a hennessey without messing with the knot. Just clip into the tree straps and then wrap the rope through the niteize. Any experience or mistakes that I can learn from? My concern is it's only 150 lb load limit.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Technically with 2 per side, there's a 300 lb load limit assuming evenly distributed....

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    if you are gonna carry two per side, why not just use normal mountaineering biners? less to keep up with. Check out Dutch's alternative for biners. grp buy forums

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Oops, I meant 1 per side for a total of 300 lb load limit. I'll check out the biners though in the group buy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The general rule of thumb is all components of your suspension should be able to hold 1200 lbs +
    Reason? Your weight increases as the angle of your suspension increases from vertical.
    Example...hold any weight straight at your sides, then start lifting it out away from your body - keeping your arm straight (like a jumping jack). The forces to hold that weight out away from your body are higher than in close. (geometry, I think - I hope I didn't wake the mathaletes)
    IMO, the capacity of the niteize is too low for a safety margin. webbing/rings keeps you from tying knots and has a higher safety margin
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Don't do it man. 150# rating isn't nearly enough. Like animalcontrol suggested, use ones rated for at least 1200# to provide the needed safety factor.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am well versed in this for we tried a bunch of stuff with the figure 9s. Although it has a 150# rating I lifted 900 pounds with it and there was no bending at all.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

At 900 pounds the teeth started to cut into the rope though. I have a special deal for you. I have been working of a new suspension system that will do exactly what you want. I have been wanting someone to test them and write a review. It must be a good honest review unlike what you read in backpacker mag. It works with any of the HH stock suspension. PM me your address and I will send them out. Trust me you will be on the cutting edge of something that will sweep the hammock world.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Trust me you will be on the cutting edge of something that will sweep the hammock world.
    Glad I didn't bite on the last, greatest wonder!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_rupiper View Post
    I'm a newbie. Waiting on my HH Exped with a 2QZQ Mod 3. I saw some niteize figure 9 carabiners that I think would be perfect to hang a hennessey without messing with the knot. Just clip into the tree straps and then wrap the rope through the niteize. Any experience or mistakes that I can learn from? My concern is it's only 150 lb load limit.
    Good thought but don't do it. The teeth cut the suspension rope, I had to send mine back to HH for replacement. I opted instead for the Garda Hitch suspension using SMC rings. There is a good string on the forum if you search for it.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    You are bound to get a whole bunch of people warning you against the imminent peril and impending doom if you attempt to hang from the fig 9 biners.

I would immediately ask any of these nay-sayers if they are speaking from any real-world actual research experience or simply spouting from infinite armchair wisdom.

There are a few people on this forum that use these regularly. I am one of them. I am 185lbs. I have hung from the carabiner biner fig 9's for more than a dozen nights under dynamic loads, with main line suspension angles less than 25 degrees I have experienced no wear, distortion, or metal fatigue as of yet. Dutch has done incredible weight testing of the standard figure 9's.

Warbonnetguy has hung from the mini fig 9's and tested them right to breaking.

I am not going to try and sway you either way in attempting to hang from niteize figure 9 products.

However I do encourage you to actually read some posts from the hand full of people that have actually done real world weight testing with figure 9's of various sizes and look at the results.

I can without hesitation tell you that ALL figure 9 products by niteize are capable way way way beyond their listed recommended weight loads. They are ultra conservative about the weight loads they rate their products for.

That said .... use at your discretion.

cheers.

p.s. - aluminum is really easy to work with. The teeth can be filed out real easy and warbonnetguy
    uses an awesome alternate way of wraping the line on a figure 9 that locks it on itself and requires no teeth at all.
    Last edited by turk; 09-18-2009 at 22:57.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast