Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock material for a large man

I'm wanting to try my hand at making myself a hammock, but I'm a bit uneasy about making my fabric choice. I'm built like an NFL lineman, 6'5" shoulders just over 2' across, and weighing in between 350 and 400 pounds. From what I've seen on the Hammock dream and warbonnet sites I'm going to want double layers of ripstop nylon approaching the 2oz/y^2 mark. Is this purely a comfort issue as the sites suggest? could I get away with a lighter fabric, or should I go heavier just in case? What about the crinkle taffeta, would that hold me?
    Any other suggestions are welcome, my priorities are: able to hold me > cost of material = comfort > weight of material

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well I'm only 260 and 5'7" but I chose 330D uncoated Cordura Nylon for the simple reason that I wanted to have a margin of safety with my fiancee in there with me...so its around 5oz per sq yard and quite sturdy...no failure so far from the 3 yards of fabric in a SL hammock here...but I've been thinking to go lighter myself.... However I see that double layer of 2.6oz would basically equal single layer of 5.2oz, so YMMV. It might be simpler to go with a single layer of 5oz/330D Cordura and be OK at that point... I'm able to have the hammock fit a 9x7x3 pouch (SAW 200rd box sized) with straps, suspension and fixed ridge line. For your first hammock, I would go heavier fabric for safety margin, and then work from there....

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I don't know a ton on the subject. But what I do know would suggest you go about 11-12 ft. I would think a double of 1.9 would hold you. After you get the feel for that one maybe try a single 1.9. I wouldn't think you could go any lighter than that. I believe somewhere on the forum here someone tested 1.9 up to 1000 lbs.

I would imagine the 330d could hold a car in it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gdelo538 View Post
    I'm wanting to try my hand at making myself a hammock, but I'm a bit uneasy about making my fabric choice. I'm built like an NFL lineman, 6'5" shoulders just over 2' across, and weighing in between 350 and 400 pounds.
    Both 1.6oz NylonD and HyperD should be able to hold your weight when used for a double layer hammock. A single layer 1.6oz NylonD hammock is good for up to 285lbs - so a double layer should easily hold 400lbs, provided it's built right. The 1.6oz HyperD has a weight rating of about 350lbs, which means a double layer hammock would have a pretty good safety margin.

BTW, have you seen this chart: http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html ?

From what I've seen on the Hammock dream and warbonnet sites I'm going to want double layers of ripstop nylon approaching the 2oz/y^2 mark. Is this purely a comfort issue as the sites suggest? could I get away with a lighter fabric, or should I go heavier just in case? What about the crinkle taffeta, would that hold me?
    Any other suggestions are welcome, my priorities are: able to hold me > cost of material = comfort > weight of material
    I would suggest going with a fabric that is sold by a vendor for hammock gear. I think there are three; Dutchwaregear, Ripstopbytheroll and DIYgearsupply. The fabrics they sell are meant for being used for hammocks, and if there is no weight rating in the description, you can simply e-mail the vendor and they'll help you pick the best fabric. Of course you could also go with a fabric you find elsewhere, but my experience is that non-hammock fabrics often are unreliable.

I would say, the absolutely lightest fabric you could get away with would probably be a mix, like e.g. 1.6oz HyperD and 1.0oz HyperD, 1.9oz ripstop and 1.0oz HyperD/NylonD and so on. However, I find it easier to use the same fabric for both layers. I don't need to cut two pieces, but simply take one long piece and fold it into a double layer. But that's a matter of taste.

Of course, the lighter you want your hammock to be, the more money you will have to pay for it. A 1.9oz double layer is much cheaper than a 1.6oz NylonD/HyperD double layer.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    What about the crinkle taffeta, would that hold me?
    My wife and i have a crinkle taffeta "Tablecloth" hammock, us and our friends have put at least 350 pounds in it on multiple occasions with no signs stress.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    My wife and i have a crinkle taffeta "Tablecloth" hammock, us and our friends have put at least 350 pounds in it on multiple occasions with no signs stress.
    I second the Tablecloth hammock, I am 6'7 and 375. Slept many nights in mine, often with my 100 lb chessy along for the ride. Loaded one to well over 600 pounds (me and one of my boys). No signs of fatigue.

Thank you all for your help, I think I'll start with a tablecloth, considering how low the cost is, both monetarily and in time.

Quote Originally Posted by 338Baloo View Post
    I second the Tablecloth hammock, I am 6'7 and 375. Slept many nights in mine, often with my 100 lb chessy along for the ride. Loaded one to well over 600 pounds (me and one of my boys). No signs of fatigue.
    On a comfort note, what size tablecloth did you opt for Baloo?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have a 1.6 hyper d single layer freebird that has held over 425 lbs with no signs of wear or stretch at all, but i feel much safer in my double layer 1.6 hyper d,, very soft lightwieght fabric.THUNDERBIRD.JPG

anyone know the weight limit on 1.1oz?

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    anyone know the weight limit on 1.1oz?
    About 200 pounds is the most I like putting in 1.1 hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast