Info on Heatsheet for SS

Hi

I have tried searching the forum on this, but could not not find what I was looking for.

If I buy the AMK heatsheet, does the orange colour face up or down on top of the pad?

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Orange down. Reflective side up (towards you).
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I emaild Tom last week about a rumor I read that he was testing a heat shield attached to the pad already. I have not heard back. I will post if anything develops.
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Orange down. Reflective side up (towards you).
    Thanks Ron.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd be seriously interested in Toms response

I know these are newbie questions but that's where I am at the moment.

With the SS setup do I ditch my Thermarest Prolite 3 short used inside hammock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrrad View Post
    I know these are newbie questions but that's where I am at the moment.

With the SS setup do I ditch my Thermarest Prolite 3 short used inside hammock
    Yes, unless you are going below the SS limits, in which case you might want to add the pad back for a temp range that is even colder than what either the pad by itself or the SS by itself can handle.

However, even if you are in a range colder than what you can handle in the SS, there are numerous options for extending the warmth of the SS without having to resort to a pad inside the hammock. There are many threads and posts here about how to do that. Do a search on all possible words or abbreviations for HHSS or Garlington Insulator or kidney/torso pads and you should find a bunch of reading.

But basically you should never need your TR pad in your hammock and might only carry it if you fear having to go to ground. The HHSS will be way more comfy ( for me) than a TR pad inside a HH.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, unless you are going below the SS limits, in which case you might want to add the pad back for a temp range that is even colder than what either the pad by itself or the SS by itself can handle.

However, even if you are in a range colder than what you can handle in the SS, there are numerous options for extending the warmth of the SS without having to resort to a pad inside the hammock. There are many threads and posts here about how to do that. Do a search on all possible words or abbreviations for HHSS or Garlington Insulator or kidney/torso pads and you should find a bunch of reading.

But basically you should never need your TR pad in your hammock and might only carry it if you fear having to go to ground. The HHSS will be way more comfy ( for me) than a TR pad inside a HH.

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay it's as I thought. My SS has not turned up yet and I have also ordered kidney & torso pads so I should be good to go for all my requirements. I try to keep as light as possible so to ditch the Prolite (which I had already found to be a pain to position) and use SS with supplied pad is not too much of a weight gain for me, plus the seemingly lower temps I'll be able to reach. The torso pad/kidney pad is just something I thought I ought to get, and may well not need to use them in a hurry. It's a whole new way of camping out for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrrad View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

Okay it's as I thought. My SS has not turned up yet and I have also ordered kidney & torso pads so I should be good to go for all my requirements. I try to keep as light as possible so to ditch the Prolite (which I had already found to be a pain to position) and use SS with supplied pad is not too much of a weight gain for me, plus the seemingly lower temps I'll be able to reach. The torso pad/kidney pad is just something I thought I ought to get, and may well not need to use them in a hurry. It's a whole new way of camping out for me.
    Smart move getting the kidney/torso pads. They triple the pad thickness where you need it most ( kidneys/butt) for little money/weight/bulk increase. If you are like several of us, you won't need them most of the year. Just don't forget the space blanket. And any clothing you don't wear to bed can go into the Undercover or, depending on how light and compressible it is ( less compressible, like light fleece, is better) on top of the pads, but under the space blanket. Have fun, hope it works well for you!

• + New Posts