Hammock
    10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Guess I'm crazy but I love the smell of camp smoke. Sparks memories I guess. I just made a usgi patrol bag into a top quilt. With a whole in the foot box area. (Pod attempt I didn't like) but laced shock cord and a barrel lock. Don't see why I coulent put my head thru it and wear it like a cloak lol also btw the zipper and snaps and hood cut off of a usgi patrol runs around 20oz. not too shabby for being synthetic.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tundracamper View Post
    Nothing I would hate more that a dirty TQ or one that smells like smoke. It seems it would be better to keep it clean.
    Definitely. With the price they cost and the critical function they play keeping your warm while sleeping during the coldest part of the day, I protect it and keep it clean as possible.

I ALWAYS have a separate area for a fire about 30' away from my hammock and down wind. I don't mind the smell of camp smoke, I actually like it, but I'm not looking to saturate everything in it to smell 24/7. I like the smell of fresh laundry too, but I don't want to smell like a laundromat all day at work.

I also keep it clean by keeping myself somewhat clean with a wipedown using rubbing alcohol/paper tower or a wet wipe. Also by wearing long underwear bottoms, top, and socks unless it's just too warm.

If I was so desparate to "multi use" an item that I needed to hang around camp with my quilt, I would consider it a failed gear list. That's just me though.

As far as quilts opening up flat, I don't get it. Even at home in my bed, I find these top quilts so light in weight that they don't "sit right" on your body. I like a rather heavy fleece blanket that you can tuck or have it's own weight stay put and keep drafts out.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My quilts are one item that I don't want to be multi-use. They're for sleeping.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All the top quilts I've made have a neck hole and open up flat. If I know it's going to be cold, I bring an appropriate jacket. But, there are times when it's unexpectedly cold and I wear my quilt. In the brief chill of early morning, it's nice to be able to get out of your hammock, but not out of your quilt!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12