Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    So far the scariest thing that's happened to me was on my first time hanging.
    It was about 2am or so when I felt something brush underneath my hammock. I immediately grabbed my gun, and laid as still as I possibly could. I was just about to look around and see what it was, and if it was gone or not. Well it brushed against me again. At this point I was very nervous, especially since my boy was right beside me, and the last thing I wanted was for him to get bitten, or attacked by a dangerous animal.
    Finally I thought, oh well minus well get it over with.
    When I looked down, I saw the kid of one of my ground dwelling friends, who had rolled off his pad, and down the hill to where we were hanging.
    I have to admit, all kinds of thoughts started going through my head, especially since it was my first time in a hammock. Luckily the comfort of it put me to sleep till I had to be wakened the next morning.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    The big island of Hawaii is overrun with feral pigs (a cross between the Polynesian boar and European stock). They're BIG, and known to be deadly, but I was told they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.

I was rather vulnerable some nights listening to them snuffle about as I lay there, kidneys just the right height for goring; especially, alone in a remote valley where no one would hear me scream.

Falling rocks can make for restless sleep too; especially, when hanging in a steep, narrow valley beside a landslide. The land there is alive.

Later, I was told the pigs were the least of my worries because the Night Marchers and Pig Goddess (half human, half pig) were known to haunt that valley. Apparently, I was spared because the moon was full that night...

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    now that is just creepifiying...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    The big island of Hawaii is overrun with feral pigs (a cross between the Polynesian boar and European stock). They're BIG, and known to be deadly, but I was told they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.

I was rather vulnerable some nights listening to them snuffle about as I lay there, kidneys just the right height for goring; especially, alone in a remote valley where no one would hear me scream.

Falling rocks can make for restless sleep too; especially, when hanging in a steep, narrow valley beside a landslide. The land there is alive.

Later, I was told the pigs were the least of my worries because the Night Marchers and Pig Goddess (half human, half pig) were known to haunt that valley. Apparently, I was spared because the moon was full that night...
    Good thing you weren't wearing the Tiki idol, otherwise bad luck might have befallen you.

Glad you didn't get gored. Sounds pretty scary.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Waking up about 0200, with severe altitude sickness and hypoxic stupidity, and shivering violently. About 10 miles into the Wind River's in WY. On my first ever night in a hammock. After apparently some how twisting my new HH and Super Shelter, while doing gymnastics trying to get inside my mummy bag. So that I was now not in my bag good, but was in/on the netting, with the opening and SS pad now above me, and I couldn't get out. At least not until another death struggle. Thought I was going to have to call for help, which was going to be quite embarrassing, just to add some insult to injury.

At least it was not raining or snowing or blowing, yet. Only a clear starry 22*F Sept night.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've had raccoons chase each other underneath my hammock and then start wrestling beside me. I shined my light on them and they froze...four little glowing dots in the night. Then they slinked away and I watched them climb straight up and straight down a fence...as in, climbing down a vertical fence with their face pointing towards the ground. It was pretty cool.

Another one...this from my Foothills Trail hike:

Around 1a last night I got up for a pee, and when I was getting back into the hammock I fell flat on my back! I thought I was holding a layer of the underquilt and a layer of hammock, but it was actually both layers of the hammock, so I slid back and nothing was there to catch me, depositing me solidly on my [butt]. Skillfully, I rolled onto my back silent as a ninja and made sure Wendy didn’t wake up. If she did, I was going to blame it on the wood nymphs. Little *******s.
    And then the handful of times I've tested new suspensions and ended up ground dwelling for a few minutes. Always fun.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My first night in a hammock in the woods... I was using an Army surplus hammock, rectangular canvas with ropes through grommets on each end. I had the bright idea of using my hiking poles to keep each end from gathering. During the night, the seam under my head started to rip. I had to lay real still the rest of the night to keep it from continuing. On top of that, I knew nothing about insulating the hammock, so the fleece bag liner I brought for the balmy night in the 50s was woefully inadequate. The warmest position was to lie on my back with my legs crossed. I survived the night, and welcomed the sun! Went home and stitched up the seam... it came within a couple of inches of total failure, which would have landed me on the ground! A few days later, I found HF.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Bull Roar!

You ever hear bulls "Roar" ? Camped near the top of Crazy Woman Canyon in the Big Horns. Oh-dark somethin' and this hellish bellowing going on and on and on without stopping. Even knowing what it is the hair on my arms and neck was on end. I hung the .44 outside the hammock and let go a round and yelled Shut the ... up! at the top of my lungs. I t only stopped the noise for a coupla minutes. I didn't want to bring anyone down on me for shooting any more, so just put up with it and tried to get back to sleep. Next day, Other campers said its a nightly occurance, you'll get used to it. I de-camped and went elsewhere for some quiet.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Not a wild animal story, just my fall. (re-posted from the first fall thread)
    I've only had one "fall" so far. Way back when I bought a "backpackers double" hammock From Wallyworld. You know, stylish white nylon string netting stuff?? Even has that hollow core looking waterski rope on the ends. Oh yeah, very snazzy. Put it up between two perfect trees in my backyard, banjo-picking tight. Probably about 3'4" or so above ground. (yup, ignorant I now know too high also. ) Straddled it in my own "floss your butt" fashion followed by spreading the hammock out sideways, and "safely", gently, sitting down. Ok. Good so far. Seems alright. Lied back, and at the exact second I put my legs in, the hammock became my own "jacobs' ladder" carnival win a teddy bear challenge. I had my hands over my head for a couple seconds, teetering slightly to one side, then the other. Almost frozen for a couple more seconds, trying to figure out how to fix this mess, when fate decided for me. I took too long thinking I suppose. Hammock swung slightly to the right side as my body was rolling left, landed hands and knees and face down in the grass. Think the spatula gently lifting the pancake, then BAM flipping it over.
    No injury except for pride, and dirt/grass stains. Seriously knocked the wind out of me though.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Test run on my hammock. Before ever hearing about this forum I decided to get an eno and slapstraps... about 15 minutes after buying it I went to the nearest park to try it out, found a flat spot and carefully adjusted as much as i could to make it even. I sit down, all is well, then a devilish screeching/popping combo is issued from the straps as the loop self destructs and i land firmly on my bum... before anyone noticed i balled that thing up and got in the car. appearently im made of dark matter because my 180 thwarted eno's alleged 400 capacity. then i did my research and found this site and resolved the suspension problem. never again will i test in a public park much less on the first nice day of spring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast