WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images

resale value of dutch hammocks (versus warbonnet)

i'm a noob looking to buy my first hammock, and i'm on the fence between a warbonnet xlc and a dutch nylond, both in 11' and double layer. one curious thing i've noticed is that there are a LOT of warbonnets for resale, while there are hardly any for dutch hammocks. with warbonnets, it seems they're resold on this site often and quickly, very quickly (sometimes a matter of minutes). with dutch hammocks, i can't seem to find hardly any hammock products in the "for sale" section.

are dutch hammocks relatively new? i'm wondering why there are hardly any dutch hammocks for resale? do people like them that much more, or does dutch offer a better return policy? maybe it's that dutch hammocks are sold bare-bones (low as $30) versus a warbonnet xlc that starts at $185, so more people are willing to eat the cost of a dutch hammock versus trying to resell it?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Dutch's hammocks are fairly new to the market, while Warbonnet has been around for a while, this would explain the dearth of Dutch hammocks in comparison to WB.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Why would you want to resell a hammock? WB makes a fantastic hammock and I wouldn't trash them at all, but Dutch hammocks are just as good for a cheaper price. If I invest $185 in a hammock, resell value comes into play, but if I spend $35, it wouldn't be worth my time to try and sell it. Just keep it for a loaner.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    I wouldn't bother selling mine. I'll need them at some point.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Several factors involved.

Dutch hammocks are not bare-bones. They are sold as a sewn hammock body for 30-35 dollars. A RL and Suspension, as well as a Bug net, (all available frrom Dutch) need to be purchased, to get the kit hanging. Brandon's WB's are built integrated, and include all the above for one price.

The main factor might just well be that WB is considered one of the luxury models and priced accordingly. They are legendary on both the trail and in the FS threads. People will pay used nearly new pricing, minus shipping costs and wait time, just to get one.

They are probably the first non-commercially produced you will the most about, once you start doing research. Some find however after jumping in, that they don't need the Caddilac, but would rather have the sports car, lighter, faster, less bulk. Once you find out what you need vs what you think you want, preferences can change.

Right now it seems more folks find that out after the initial purchase.

I think both WB, Dream, Dutch, as well as the rest of our cottage vendors, ALL build high qaulity gear and sell for considerably below the price points, it would cost to obtain the next closest comparable item from a commercial manufacturer(importer). We probably shouldn't concern ourselves as much on pricing and resale values. Instead save your cash and buy as much of the cottage vended gear you can before they catch on, or are forced to raise pricing to where it probably should be.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I have been hanging since 2004 and have 15 hammocks. In that time I have sold exactly 1 of my hammocks, a Hennessy Expedition that was my original hammock (sold to a boy scout). I have two out on loan, and the rest I keep for loaners and/or show and tell. The vast majority of mine are 10' hammocks, which are not as in vogue as 11' hammocks are these days, but I still keep them. The one thing about loaning hammocks is that you either have to have a double layer for pad use or let them use one of your underquilts (which I am personally loath to do unless I know the person).

Dutch's hammocks are great value and I agree that keeping them rather than selling them is easy to do. There's no way I'd sell any of my WB's, they are works of Art.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think the warbonnets get on the market more because they do sell both new and used. From what I hear from everyone is that Dutch makes quality gear but trying to compare a $185 hammock to a $35 hammock in the resale market is very hard to do from an objective point of view. I tend to agree with Richard on this one, that if you buy a more expensive hammock of the quality that warbonnet makes, you should easily be able to turn it around and sell it for near new value since not everyone can afford a $185 hammock. With a $35 hammock, if you take a $7 reduction in resale (20%), it equates to a $37 decrease in the new value of the XLC. At the end of the day, they are both good and if you try to re-sell either, they should hold their value about equal at this point in time.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You are trying to compare two very different products. The XLC has special design features and is almost all inclusive, just purchase your carabiners or whoopie sling.

Dutch's product is recent, the hammock is inexpensive, however, it is like a kit, you purchase bits and pieces to make the whole useable product. In other words you customize your blank hammock.

Warbonnet especially the XLC and RidgeRunner has design features not found on other hammocks.

Design features add to the cost of research, development and production.

Dutch Ware Gear is a good solid, customize your hang product. Warbonnet is solid and has extra engineering added in therefore added costs involved. Both choice are solid.

I bought a Dutch hammock for my daughter, instead of selling it she just put it in the pile of never never land she calls her bedroom. I will probably see it again, when I sell the house.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Ramen View Post
    I think the warbonnets get on the market more because they do sell both new and used. From what I hear from everyone is that Dutch makes quality gear but trying to compare a $185 hammock to a $35 hammock in the resale market is very hard to do from an objective point of view. I tend to agree with Richard on this one, that if you buy a more expensive hammock of the quality that warbonnet makes, you should easily be able to turn it around and sell it for near new value since not everyone can afford a $185 hammock. With a $35 hammock, if you take a $7 reduction in resale (20%), it equates to a $37 decrease in the new value of the XLC. At the end of the day, they are both good and if you try to re-sell either, they should hold their value about equal at this point in time.
    Someone did the math...

I agree, though - cottage vendor gear tends to not only hold its value because of the quality, but when you resell it you're also selling the instant gratification of not having to wait weeks/months in line to get yours. Dutch hammocks are (no offense here) a dime a dozen - he's got a seamstress that churns 'em out and they're ready to go.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    thanks for the feedback, it's been very helpful. when i wrote "bare-bones" i didn't meant to downgrade the dutch hammocks at all, just pointing out that it's a hammock without any of the bits needed to get it useable the way the warbonnet is off the shelf (minus the carabiner, which reminds me, why would warbonnet sell the carabiner separately???).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast