Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
this is a good point, probably what's at play in very cold situations too where the colder air cannot absorb much moisture. i wonder if "most" of the moisture is coming from the user simply because it cannot completely pass through as well as it does under "normal" circumstances. if that's the case an internal vb should help alot.
If so, and this actually is a significant factor, it would at least partially explain the difference in results when I used the pod on the last trip to the Rockies vs my friends results. It was both some what cold and pretty wet the last couple of days. Nobody got any external moisture on hammocks or insulation. My friend complained of all of his down, top and bottom, feeling damp and maybe even loss of loft. I did not notice any problems at all. I used a VB ( ONLY underneath, and to whatever degree it wrapped around my sides), he did not( but he did use a 20" wide pad ). I just don't know. Maybe he is just a bigger producer of moisture than I am.

He had the same problems the year before with down top quilt or bag only. ( I think he used a pad in a HH/Big Agnes but I can't remember for sure, I know he didn't have the pod) But, both trips he was concerned by the end and was glad he didn't need to put it to the test for a few more days. I was totally synthetic on that previous trip to the soggy Olympics ( HHSS, PG bag and clothing) and was without worries. The foot of my HH OCF pad and sleeping bag did get pretty soaked from condensation the 1st night( did not use space blanket DOH! Live and learn), but I was toasty warm any way and didn't even realize it was wet until I got out the next AM. Then it very quickly dried out.