Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Special Summer Series TQ and UQ

Now I have to start out by saying what a pleasure it has been to work with Marty and Wilderness Logics. I first contacted Marty 11 days ago to inquire about what the lead times were for the Summer Series TQ and UQ package that is currently on sale through tomorrow. I received a prompt answer, 5 days, and then I flooded him with questions. I was worried about fit with the bottom entry of my HH and some of the stories I had heard/read of people struggling with their UQs. I also inquired about whether a little over stuff was possible with the full-length model. Again I got quick answers. Yes, they could add a couple of ounces of down and add a few loops to help with my fit. So I wasted no time in placing my order.

Well, naturally I was anxious, and 5 days got me thinking. So I emailed Marty again and asked if there was any way possible my quilts would be able to be delivered on Friday, so I could take it with me on my camping trip with my Webelos. Marty said he would see what he could do, and I received an email with my tracking number just 3.5 business days after I placed my order.

With this level of customer service, I couldn’t wait to actually receive my quilts.

Then they arrived.
    Attachment 105925

The quality was top notch. The quilts are super soft and very light.

As with any gear, I always test it at home first. And then the rookie mistake hit me. I needed a way to attach it. So I have employed to lightweight carabiners for now until I decide.
    Attachment 105926

With no time to spare, I had everything packed back up for my camping trip.

The Field Test

We arrive at our campsite with the temp in the low 40s, a steady rain and 10+ mph wind. I help my Webelos get their tent and dining tent set-up, gear unloaded and start on dinner. Sometime after 9, I finally get to set-up in the dark. I did manage to snap this picture before drifting off to sleep.
    WL FT Sleep.jpg

Yes that is also a Wilderness Logics down pillow behind my head. It was a door prize at a hang that a friend got and gave to me. (Thanks Stubby.)

It got down to 38*F and I was cool, but comfy on bottom and warm on top in just some light cotton sleepwear. I had to get-up and adjust my UQ a couple of times to fine tune it and deal with the wind that shifted 90* after midnight, blowing right into the head of my tarp and UQ.

Night 2 was the real test. I adjusted my set-up to deal with the wind and get a more winter set-up. I woke up at 3 AM to tend our fire and it was 33*F and didn’t want to leave my warm quilts. I was quite toasty. I had pre-warmed my set-up with a 1L Nalgene bottle full of hot water, but it was too warm while the temp was still in the 40s and was set outside my TQ where it came unwrapped. When I returned 30 mins later, I feel back to sleep cool and comfy, but I had lost a lot of heat. I woke up at 6 AM to 28*F.
    KN12 Full Winter Mode.jpg
    WL FT Set.jpg

Now I realize that this is a Summer Series Quilt Set and I am pushing the lower bounds of the design, but I found this absolutely amazing. I cannot put into words, how satisfied I am with these quilts and the service I received from Wilderness Logics.

I can’t wait to take them out again on my next campout in 2 weeks.

Hammock
    WL Lightowl/snipe, Dutch/hammocks
    Tarp
    Tadpole Bdaddy OMW
    Insulation
    WL Winter/ SS
    Suspension
    Hug/whoopie/Dutch
    Images
    I ordered my WL SSTQ 3 weeks ago. (really nice) I placed my order yesterday for the SSUQ!!! I have a set of WL winter quilts, great quality gear from Marty and his team at WL!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Great to hear of your report. I, too had several questions about the SSUQs and Marty was always very gracious to take the time to help me without ever making me feel that I was a burden on his time. I have my own business and I know how precious time can be, but Marty always spoke with me like he was speaking to an old friend. Now I have two sets of SSUQs. BTW, I've never used the Kelty tarp, but I also purchased the Tadpole tarp with pole mod from Marty-that thing is super light and plenty big enough for my needs...you may want to look into that for a future purchase!

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Great to hear of your report. I, too had several questions about the SSUQs and Marty was always very gracious to take the time to help me without ever making me feel that I was a burden on his time. I have my own business and I know how precious time can be, but Marty always spoke with me like he was speaking to an old friend. Now I have two sets of SSUQs. BTW, I've never used the Kelty tarp, but I also purchased the Tadpole tarp with pole mod from Marty-that thing is super light and plenty big enough for my needs...you may want to look into that for a future purchase!
    Clisbyclark, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before I'll be purchasing another set of quilts from Marty when the Missus realizes how nice they are. As far as the Kelty Tarp goes, it's nice and a little on the heavy side, but I got it to serve multiple purposes with my Scouts. I have been fairly successful using my stock HH Asym Tarp and it was just my first time messing with the Kelty with the hammock this weekend. I plan on looking at other tarps in the future as my family and I build up to longer hikes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I got one of the xxl summer series top quilts about a week ago and it looks/feels great. Haven't had a chance to use it hiking yet, but looking forward to it!

I had a question about one of the colors they offered, and Marty sent me an envelope of fabric samples so I could actually see them in person before I ordered.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Hey drlupton...I know what you mean about gearing up the family. Getting solid hammock gear is not cheap for one, but when you have to do it 4x, it can get pretty pricey!!!

Hammock
    argon10'/nylond11'/eno dbl dlx
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    ssuq/ 15* bag
    Suspension
    ws starps
    how small do these two quilts pack up? Im thinking about grabbing a set but I would like to know that the two of them are smaller than my down sleeping bag, if possible.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    My SSTQ will compact to approx the size of a Foster's can if I squeeze it tight. My SS 3/4 UQ to about the size of a softball.
    The WL stuff sack are a little oversize to allow the quilt to conform to contours in the backpack.
    The larger stuff sacks allow for a better use of pack space.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Love my SSUQ, but I just pack it attached and the TQ in the hammock in a sil bag packed in the bottom of my pack, speeds setup. 3/4 UQ will go small like flatline said.

Quote Originally Posted by sink hanger View Post
    how small do these two quilts pack up? Im thinking about grabbing a set but I would like to know that the two of them are smaller than my down sleeping bag, if possible.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sink hanger View Post
    I have the full length UQ and it packs to just about the size of a Fosters can as well. I previously used a Cats Meow sleeping bag (not down, I know) and I can fit the TQ, UQ and pillow in the area that the bag took up fully compressed with room to spare. I'll try and take some comparison pictures when I get home at the end of the week and start packing for camping next weekend. Hope this helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast