DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    If there are good rocks where you hike I'd look to inexpensive climbing gear first as an alternate way to hang. Climbing nuts are nice and light weight. Extra rope or webbing to secure an attachment point off of a nearby boulder is cheap, light, and doesn't take up a lot of room in the pack.

If you wind up trying this out please let us know how it goes. Especially if I led you down any wrong turns or if anything was particularly helpful. Your feedback will further help future visitors looking to solve the "not enough trees where I hike" problem. It's something I struggled mightily with until I picked up a HH, and even the HH hasn't proved ideal under many scenarios.

TL;DR: Pour yourself a beer. You earned it. Getting DIY lightweight struts working with your hammock in a backpacking scenario was much harder than you imagined.
    Thank you for your thoughts! They were very well thought out and helpful. I had considered many of these same things which is one of the reasons I wanted to see if anyone else had gone down this road. It sounds like your experience with the HH has not been without challenge and it was engineered.
    I will try a "single strut DIY version" first with a solid "pole" and then expand my efforts from there. It sounds like much of the challenge will be the stakes, lines, and angles of both.
    I will definitely update with anything I try. It may be a bit though. I like the challenge but have to balance my time.

One longer strap is a good option for the boulder situation.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I am in the same quandary as you. I live in Utah and kayak at places like Lake Powell or on rivers in desert canyons. Places where trees are few and far between. Along many of Utah's rivers the "trees" are really tamarisk and Russian olive which are thin & prickly. Not suited to hammock hanging. I owned a HH stand for awhile. I had issues with getting the stakes to hold well in loose sandy soil. Many sites in Utah are also on rock ledges. I sold the HH stand. My solution to the dilemma is to carry a tent if I'm reasonably sure that trees do not exist (Lake Powell), carry the full hammock set-up with UQ if I know that there are trees, and carry the tent,pad, hammock & tarp on trips where it's a toss-up. I'm in a kayak, not hiking, so option #3 is possible. Good luck with your DIY project and definitely keep us updated. If you find a solution it could help a lot of us.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    If I have to camp in a location without trees.... I use a tarp tent with a ground pad.... Your options are limited... You can check out

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patte...cart.htm#BILGY TARP TENT
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have seen a youtube video of a guy using a hardwood dowel as a single strut when he was camping in a field. The other end attached to his car. Search for monopod on this thread and there are some fairly lightweight options but nothing compares to the three lb handy hammock.

If it were me, oh wait, it is me, I am squirreling away a few dollars every pay period specifically for the handy hammock because I do a lot of Scout Camporee hanging and many are in fields AND I hate packing more than I can carry from my car in one trip. A turtle dog stand is a two-trip-to-the-car stand.

Eta: until the time you've squirreled and ordered the hh, avoid the places you can't hang, go to ground or try new locations...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I am in the same quandary as you. I live in Utah and kayak at places like Lake Powell or on rivers in desert canyons. Places where trees are few and far between. Along many of Utah's rivers the "trees" are really tamarisk and Russian olive which are thin & prickly. Not suited to hammock hanging. I owned a HH stand for awhile. I had issues with getting the stakes to hold well in loose sandy soil. Many sites in Utah are also on rock ledges. I sold the HH stand.
    Your HH stand has found a good home, I promise. Someone was admiring it in my neighborhood park a couple weeks ago. It was a windy day and they thought I was building the world's biggest kite.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If your resourceful and have a large enough campsite to find your items, check out mbiraman's One-Tree-Hang thread. This may help you on your way.

If your wanting to carry items, go to youtube and look for monopod or bipod stands for other items. These may be a little heavy, but, portable to some. Experiment and find what works for you.

Bipod stand
    Another bipod stand
    Monopod stand

Good luck on your quest.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Well, don't boo, but I was a scout, and this a perfect setup... If no trees, you need a pair of sky hooks. Just make sure when you get them, that you get a headend skyhook and a footend skyhook... That felt 50 years ago good...

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    Your HH stand has found a good home, I promise. Someone was admiring it in my neighborhood park a couple weeks ago. It was a windy day and they thought I was building the world's biggest kite.
    Cool. Always happy when my "re-homed" gear is getting used!
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I owned a HH stand for awhile. I had issues with getting the stakes to hold well in loose sandy soil.
    I'm curious - did you get/use the beach / soft soil pegs that HH sells for beach hanging? I have those, and they have held up great for me (I'm about 133lbs and used the stand with my 10' WBBB).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast