Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    I camp in a few sites regularly that do not have 2 good trees at the right distance. What are some options for single tree hanging or no tree hanging? I have seen the Handy Hammock but can't afford the $165.
    Any suggestions?
    A very serious inconvenience. Very serious indeed, and is the reason I'm NEVER without a baggieful of seeds. All there needs be added is time and patience. If you're not the waitin' type, or if you're through-hiking and need to make miles, you might have to go to ground. Never an acceptable solution, but *No Trees* is never an acceptable problem. Why do you "regularly" camp at these unforgivable and God-forsaken sites, anyway?? I always say: "One wrong plus one wrong equals two wrongs, and that's just crappy math." But forget about that. If your tarp allows, play tarp-camper for the night, and just don't tell your friends what you did. But, if your friends are with you, you might have to kill them. JUST KIDDING!! JUST KIDDING!! Unless they're the talkin' type. JUST KIDDING!! JUST KIDDING!! irondog does NOT endorse murder or anything else that's naughty and prosecutable. Now, I'm not the Fed Chairman, but I do have a mono-tree policy... I always go out with one, and often with two (I can hear your pack groaning, already!), Omega Pacific yellow climbing cams. Oftentimes, and especially on steep grades at elevation, a rock face will present a superb point of attachment, while trees are scarce or inconveniently dispersed. Now you'd need only one tree to turn a regrettable situation into a perfectly suitable hang. Or, you might even consider rock-to-rock hanging, and to Heck with trees! Who needs them, anyway?! We do, but never mind that. I've plenty of times hung cactus-to-cactus, in South Texas. [Use care, caution, discretion aaaand a buddy, first time you do this!!] Thank you for wasting your time, reading this. There are no pretty solutions to this ugly problem, no matter WHAT they wanna sell ya. You might be left to face the gruesome reality of (Yuck!) just packing a little extra, when you anticipate facing a treeless or mono-tree scenario.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    I camp in a few sites regularly that do not have 2 good trees at the right distance. What are some options for single tree hanging or no tree hanging? I have seen the Handy Hammock but can't afford the $165.
    Any suggestions?
    A very serious inconvenience. Very serious indeed, and is the reason I'm NEVER without a baggieful of seeds. All there needs be added is time and patience. If you're not the waitin' type, or if you're through-hiking and need to make miles, you might have to go to ground. Never an acceptable solution, but *No Trees* is never an acceptable problem. Why do you "regularly" camp at these unforgivable and God-forsaken sites, anyway?? I always say: "One wrong plus one wrong equals two wrongs, and that's just crappy math." But forget about that. If your tarp allows, play tarp-camper for the night, and just don't tell your friends what you did. But, if your friends are with you, you might have to kill them. JUST KIDDING!! JUST KIDDING!! Unless they're the talkin' type. JUST KIDDING!! JUST KIDDING!! irondog does NOT endorse murder or anything else that's naughty and prosecutable. Now, I'm not the Fed Chairman, but I do have a mono-tree policy... I always go out with one, and often with two (I can hear your pack groaning, already!), Omega Pacific yellow climbing cams. Oftentimes, and especially on steep grades at elevation, a rock face will present a superb point of attachment, while trees are scarce or inconveniently dispersed. Now you'd need only one tree to turn a regrettable situation into a perfectly suitable hang. Or, you might even consider rock-to-rock hanging, and to Heck with trees! Who needs them, anyway?! We do, but never mind that. I've plenty of times hung cactus-to-cactus, in South Texas. [Use care, caution, discretion aaaand a buddy, first time you do this!!] Thank you for wasting your time, reading this. There are no pretty solutions to this ugly problem, no matter WHAT they wanna sell ya. You might be left to face the gruesome reality of (Yuck!) just packing a little extra, when you anticipate facing a treeless or mono-tree scenario.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by irondog View Post
    A very serious inconvenience. Very serious indeed, and is the reason I'm NEVER without a baggieful of seeds. All there needs be added is time and patience. If you're not the waitin' type, or if you're through-hiking and need to make miles, you might have to go to ground. Never an acceptable solution, but *No Trees* is never an acceptable problem. Why do you "regularly" camp at these unforgivable and God-forsaken sites, anyway?? ...
    I do not choose the sight but the event. The events are scouting events where they like large open fields for "convenience" of locating many tents and ground dwellers. We are slowly changing the culture and may eventually get a location with more hanging spots. Until then I have planted a few seeds.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I built a spurtle stand. Keeps me happily above the ground at open field scouting events.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    MWG Monster 11x10
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Utah scoutmaster here. Been converting the boys slowly (just ordered a few hammocks from Dutch for the troop). I carry a thin torso pad and a polycryo groundsheet when I'm concerned about not having trees. Just pitch your tarp with hiking poles and you're covered for the go-to-ground worst case.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    My UQP can double as a ground sheet if needed, and then the hennesy can play bug net if its warm out. I don't usually carry a pad, since the lightest one I have is an older thermarest trail thats 1100grams. wanting to get a neoair or similar as a backup for those situations, I can justify it for that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPa K View Post
    I have been thinking about making a piece to go in the 2" receiver of my truck (someone else on here recently asked about it and it got me thinking). Something that would fit in the bed and then provide a tie-off point for a tarp and hammock.
    You do this let me know! I've mocked up plans for one but have no skills. I'm thinking it should have a bike rack on it, too!

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Well, don't boo, but I was a scout, and this a perfect setup... If no trees, you need a pair of sky hooks.
    The memories... oh God, the memories... Now I just need one of the new Scouts to go and find me a solar powered flashlight, a left-handed smoke shifter, and go and catch that stupid snipe before it has a chance to eat a hole in my tent!
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I use my feet to move on! I really avoid them like the plague.

But You could consider a saw, less than a pound and multi use to boot. Cut a couple of sticks and lash the top together for a bipod. You will also need enough cordage to span one tree cross the bipod and they to the base of another tree. Using amsteel I've spanned a 35' gap between trees in my backyard.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Check my post under "Hammock stand DIY".

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast