Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Wow wow! This was great. Some of those pictures!!! Thank you for sharing this.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just commented to your blog, but the HF forum folks might be interested as well. As a Tucson resident I have hammocked extensively on the AZT in the Catalinas, Rincons, Santa Rita, Huachucas, etc. I can see where you could use your hammock once you were south of Oracle.

How did you manage the sections between the Gila River and Oracle? I've driven on Jeep roads that somewhat parallel the AZT on this stretch, and I cannot imagine how you managed on this 55 mile segment.

You hit the jackpot on the wildflowers this year. We had great winter rains and a very warm winter/spring, so everything is blooming early and profusely.

Coincidently, the 300 mile bikepacking race along the AZT just started today:

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/2015-arizona-trail-race/

They are doing pretty much the same route you did, but NOBO.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I just commented to your blog, but the HF forum folks might be interested as well. As a Tucson resident I have hammocked extensively on the AZT in the Catalinas, Rincons, Santa Rita, Huachucas, etc. I can see where you could use your hammock once you were south of Oracle.
    Hi there great to hear from you! Tuscon seems like such a great place to live, being so close to these incredible mountains!

How did you manage the sections between the Gila River and Oracle? I've driven on Jeep roads that somewhat parallel the AZT on this stretch, and I cannot imagine how you managed on this 55 mile segment.
    Honestly, I was shocked I found places to hang on this part too. Really helped to have the topo maps on my iphone because I looked ahead to find washes, then hiked up or down the washes to find a site. The mesquite in the washes really saved me. South of Freeman Road, I hung across a gully because even the mesquite were too small. The next night, again, more mesquite in a wash. Cheated when I got to Oracle by staying in the hotel into town.

You hit the jackpot on the wildflowers this year. We had great winter rains and a very warm winter/spring, so everything is blooming early and profusely.
    Yes, we really lucked out with the wildflowers, and with the water. Are there even more things blooming now? Heard there was even more rain.

Coincidently, the 300 mile bikepacking race along the AZT just started today:

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/2015-arizona-trail-race/

They are doing pretty much the same route you did, but NOBO.
    Those bikepackers are incredible athletes. We met one guy who was training for it. He said he expected to do those 300 miles in just under four days.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    Are there even more things blooming now? Heard there was even more rain.
    Oh yeah. The Palo Verde and ocotillo are in full bloom, hedgehog and cholla cacti are cranking up, prickly pears just starting.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Joan, did you happen to meet a guy named Adam on the trail, 6-2 with a beard heading north, you might have crossed paths with him down in the south end of the trail. Jim

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 22hornet View Post
    Hi Joan, did you happen to meet a guy named Adam on the trail, 6-2 with a beard heading north, you might have crossed paths with him down in the south end of the trail. Jim
    That name sounds familiar, but I'm not exactly sure. Saw about two northbounders a day. Did he have a blog?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Oh yeah. The Palo Verde and ocotillo are in full bloom, hedgehog and cholla cacti are cranking up, prickly pears just starting.
    That must be something to see all those in bloom! Will have to plan a longer time in the area "next time."

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    That name sounds familiar, but I'm not exactly sure. Saw about two northbounders a day. Did he have a blog?
    It is nevercameback, his trail name is krudmeister, Adam Bradley ,he and another guy set the record for the PCT back in 2009

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    I know the thread is old, but I stumbled on your blog when daydreaming of hiking on the pct. your blog is so well done. It seems a great balance of trip report, beautiful photos, introspection and natural history.

Your AZT entries especially are amazing. I lived on Ft Hachuca when my dad was stationed there in the 80s. I spent my time in the mountains there and my love of nature was born. I showed your photos to my wife to help explain why that area is where I want to retire. They really are some of the best I have seen at capturing the dancing light and shifting magic.

She may be starting to get it

Thank you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12