Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    It wouldn't hurt to contact Barry anyway. He's a nice guy and if he has time to answer questions, he will. No harm if he's out of town or busy. His wife is just as knowledgeable, also any of his staff. He can almost certainly point you to contacts when you get there. Heck, he might even know where the couches are. Don't let any pictures of him in a suit fool you. He's a down to earth guy. Yes, you will probably ditch the hammock for sleeping in the highlands. It can get bitter at night.
    When I travel to poorer countries, I always take clothes that I'm done with, except for whatever technical stuff I'll need to be comfortable. Things are getting better in certain parts, but there are still plenty of places where your 20 year old pair of pants is better than anything they've seen in a while. Even if I don't trade for stuff, I leave thing behind when I can. It will get used. Just something to consider. It's a hard decision, especially when you are planning for two vastly different climates. That's when having a place to dump gear is helpful. You don't want to be dragging a 50 degree UQ in the Amazon when night temps are 90. (Be aware that even in the Amazon, you can get a friaje (cold front) and have nights that are very chilly). So don't leave all cold gear behind for that leg. Wool blankets are usually available somewhere, though.

I wish I was going

Thanks, I will send a message over to him.

Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    always take clothes that I'm done with, except for whatever technical stuff I'll need to be comfortable
    Hmm, I will try to use my older stuff when I can. Trouble is that I've been giving away a lot of the older stuff I had. (I come from a poorer country too, Ukraine) That or it's totally nonfunctional and bulky, like jeans and sweaters.

You don't want to be dragging a 50 degree UQ in the Amazon when night temps are 90. (Be aware that even in the Amazon, you can get a friaje (cold front) and have nights that are very chilly).
    Good idea, maybe I'll leave the 50 UQ at home, and just modify the poncho liner for that purpose. I was looking online and it it looks like the lows are in the 70s but it was recommended that I still take something. Plus i can leave the PLUQ there, like trade it for something, I wasn't going to take it originally because of the bulk, but if I can leave it

I guess, except for the pants (old stuff is only jeans), I will only try to take 1 technical of each max, and take older stuff whenever possible. Time to reconsider again XD

Yea, this is going to be my first trip where I'm not staying at hotels or family 'n such. Also a first south of Florida, and the first time I'm leaving the states for over a month since I moved here. Going to be totally the craziest thing I've ever done before.

I'm and all at the same time. hehe

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    understand the fears and anticipation, but you will have a great time, I'm sure. If you can take things that do double and triple duty, then you're packing well. Let us know how it was when you get back!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Dollar store stuff such as solar-powered calculators are well received. I once took (to Ecuador) a few pairs of jeans (has to be name brand such as Levi's etc) that I bought in a thrift store. It felt a bit uncomfortable offering to barter, but the ceramics vendor was thrilled to get nice jeans for her teenage son.

When underwear starts getting a bit ratty, I put them in a "travel stuff" drawer. After use during the trip, I trash them. Things like good T's (i.e. old Navy and a gazillion others) can be worn and left for someone to rescue. This lightens the load as you proceed. Obviously, doesn't apply if you are starting out with just a pack and space it as at premium.

minimus dot com specializes in travel-sized items.

If you can take things that do double and triple duty, then you're packing well. Let us know how it was when you get back!
    Trying to include at least some of those, and already crossed a bunch of stuff off to keep it light :/

Will definitely do a post of my experiences when i get back

Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Dollar store stuff such as solar-powered calculators are well received. I once took (to Ecuador) a few pairs of jeans (has to be name brand such as Levi's etc) that I bought in a thrift store. It felt a bit uncomfortable offering to barter, but the ceramics vendor was thrilled to get nice jeans for her teenage son.
    The calculator seems like a cool idea, small and light. But the jeans seems a bit on the bulky side, since I wasn't planing to bring any of those.

Where exactly can one barter for things? What can I expect to barter them for? I'm a total newbie it that At this time, I will have 3 things I will be willing to trade. A synthetic fleece (but probably only for a local wool one since its the only sweater type thing), a synthetic T, and a digital camo poncho liner (after I'm done using it as an UQ). I will probably buy some para cord to trade, and those calculators sound like a cool idea.

When underwear starts getting a bit ratty, I put them in a "travel stuff" drawer. After use during the trip, I trash them. Things like good T's (i.e. old Navy and a gazillion others) can be worn and left for someone to rescue. This lightens the load as you proceed. Obviously, doesn't apply if you are starting out with just a pack and space it as at premium.
    Yea, my pack is a 40, and though I'm also bringing an UL 20L daypack, I'm making sure I can stuff everything into one. I don't feel like bringing a bunch of stuff that I don't intend to use. And if I bring stuff just to trade, I will have to carry them around, or whatever I barter them for until the end of my trip. If it was a 2-3 weeks, probably a good idea, but I'm going for much longer.

minimus dot com specializes in travel-sized items.
    A lot of that stuff I've seen at walmart. Since I'm going for 4 months, i was just going to bring full size stuff :/. My toothpaste tube is half full, so I was just going to bring that and buy whatever I can get (though it probably won't be fluoride-free). And mini soap, deodorant probably won't last that long anyway and I will have to buy normal size when I run out there.

How long does a mini shaving cream last? I was going to bring my electric since I usually use that anyway, and don't feel like buying razors and shaving cream on the road.

Yeah I've travelled with it. And, I've not faced any kind of tough situation along.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123