Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images

Yosemite September 3 nights 4 days - Looking for trip ideas

1st father/son trip to Yosemite. Looking for suggestions. I'm planning a trip with my son for September, just after Labor Day. My son lives in Fremont, CA.
    We will be driving early from Fremont. Would like to spend spend 3 nights, hike out the 4th day. (Could spend up to 4 nights. 5 days total available for trip with drove back to Freemont.)
    As everyone who goes to Yosemite, looking for some epic scenery. Moderate level, ave 10-12 (+-) mi per day as we will be coming from sea level.
    I'm experienced. This will be his first multi day trip.
    Want to get any permit applications needed in ASAP. Thanks for your suggestions.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Yosemite has regulations that change every year so you might want to start your information quest immediately. Half Dome requires a permit and there are trail limits to content with also. The scenery will be spectacular, however the ongoing drought will impact things so the waterfall that once ran thunderously through October will be a trickle if that and the lush greenery won't be as green and the wildlife will also be different.

That said, Yosemite is like... well, let's choose pizza in that there is fantastic pizza and there is good pizza but there is no such thing as bad pizza.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    Try any of the High Sierra campgrounds. You'll be away from the tourists of Yosemite Valley and you'll be exposed to the glory of that of the High Sierras!! Glen Aulin, Sunrise, Merced Lake, Vogelsang to name a few.

Happy trails!!

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Yosemite has regulations that change every year so you might want to start your information quest immediately. Half Dome requires a permit and there are trail limits to content with also. The scenery will be spectacular, however the ongoing drought will impact things so the waterfall that once ran thunderously through October will be a trickle if that and the lush greenery won't be as green and the wildlife will also be different.

That said, Yosemite is like... well, let's choose pizza in that there is fantastic pizza and there is good pizza but there is no such thing as bad pizza.
    Agreed, bring on the pizza!

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whoismiketruong View Post
    Try any of the High Sierra campgrounds. You'll be away from the tourists of Yosemite Valley and you'll be exposed to the glory of that of the High Sierras!! Glen Aulin, Sunrise, Merced Lake, Vogelsang to name a few.

Happy trails!!
    Sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by whoismiketruong View Post

Happy trails!!

I remember doing a leg of the JMT starting in Yosemite valley and exiting at Edison Lake. We were hiking along Long Meadow on our way to Cathedral Pass. It was a hot afternoon and I looked up to my left to see a couple sitting in their camp chairs clinking their cold beer bottles together, sipping on them and smiling. Those High Sierra camps are pretty nice I must admit.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    I remember doing a leg of the JMT starting in Yosemite valley and exiting at Edison Lake. We were hiking along Long Meadow on our way to Cathedral Pass. It was a hot afternoon and I looked up to my left to see a couple sitting in their camp chairs clinking their cold beer bottles together, sipping on them and smiling. Those High Sierra camps are pretty nice I must admit.
    Indeed they are!!!

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    Darien DH
    Tarp
    hex fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator 40
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Panorama Trail has got my name all over it next time I'm up there I'm taking my boy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodrow View Post
    Panorama Trail has got my name all over it next time I'm up there I'm taking my boy.
    As long as you don't intend to camp on it. That's illegal. You can't camp anywhere along the trail between Happy Isles and Little Yosemite Valley, the Panorama trail, or the trail up to Glacier Point from Illouette Creek. You must take the use trail up Illouette Creek two miles to the first LEGAL campsites (there are tons of illegal ones).

Campsites in Vogelsang, or any of the camps above 9000 feet, are poor choices for hangers. Not enough trees in all of the designated campsites and no guarantee of getting one that does. Easier to go the required mileage away from the resort (not really camping, more glamping, if you get a bed in a tent cabin there) and find trees and a fire ring (illegal to build rings, or light fires above 9600 feet).

• + New Posts