Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

AL>Bankhead National Forest>Davis Creek Area

I have been looking at my maps recently looking for places to explore outside of the normally used areas in Sipsey Wilderness/Bankhead Forest. My hiking/camping buddy and I decided to explore the Davis Creek area south of Cranal Road. From the map, we picked a Forest Service Road that we thought would take us almost to Davis Creek slightly downstream of where we wanted to camp. As a note, other than the old roads (some in better shape than others), we did not see anything that resembled a trail unless you count game trails. This area is a true bushwacking experience.

We turned onto the Forest Service Road we selected and headed in. It wasn't in the best condition, but it wasn't anything my Civic couldn't handle. As we made our second turn to take us to Davis Creek, we discovered the road was blocked and we would have to hike in. This wasn’t a problem for me as I normally pack pretty light, but my buddy had brought everything but the kitchen sink including a full size folding chair and an additional small soft side cooler. He carries it, so I didn't mind, but I find it funny because I thought my pack was heavy at 18 lbs! I will admit, I was very grateful for his heavy pack later! I forgot to change out the batteries in my GPS, so we had no way to track our actual route or mark any interesting areas. I always have a map and compass, so it was just an inconvenience more than anything.

We began and there was a very good roadbed we followed down the hill to the creek. The hill was pretty steep in places so I understand why it was blocked – it would be tough for most vehicles to climb the dirt road (especially when it was wet). There were also several birdhouses placed along the road which I found odd. Birdhouses in the middle of a National Forest? I assumed there was more to the story, but I wasn’t aware of one.

1.jpg 2_o.jpg

Once we arrived at the creek, the water was VERY clear – even more clear than other areas of Bankhead/Sipsey we have visited on previous trips. We were also surprised that storm debris was caught in branches over 12 feet above the current water level. The streambed was also composed of shale/slate which is very different from the other areas of Bankhead.

3.jpg

Soon after we crossed the stream and began going upstream, we found an odd sight. There was a low rock "wall" that began on one side of the creek and the remains were seen on the other side of the creek as well. It was our guess that is was reinforcements for an old road crossing as there was one in this area according to the map.

4.jpg 5.jpg

We hiked upstream and found a suitable camping spot, set up, and ate lunch.

6.jpg

After lunch, we went upstream exploring. We knew there were several waterfalls in this area and it was our mission to find them. Since the creek scenery was boring, we climbed up to the bluff and followed it upstream. There are still several old roads visible through this area so we followed some of them and even found the remains of an old vehicle near the junction of two old roads. Continuing upstream to the most Northeastern section of this canyon, we saw several springs seeping out of the bluff, a large spot where the wild hogs have wallowed in the mud, several wildflowers in bloom, and a total of 3 waterfalls before heading back to camp.

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

We finally reached camp just before sundown and rested a few mintues before cooking. This is where I was thankful for my friend’s heavy pack! We had deer tenderloin wrapped in bacon cooked in an iron skillet. They were delicious! After a full day of hiking and a full belly, I was soon asleep! The low was 28 that night and I slept great in my 20 degree quilts from Hammock Gear. After we woke up, we had bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese once again cooked by my friend in an iron skillet! I did share my coffee with him, though.

Our initial plan was to do some more exploring, but we had slept in too late. Soon it was time to clean up and pack. We dreaded climbing the hill that was such a breeze on the way into the area. We made it to the car and safely home – another great trip. I plan on going back and exploring more of this area.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 04-03-2015 at 17:42.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Sounds like a successful trip. I wouldn't want to haul the skillet but that was some good eats!
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report and pics. Davis Creek is another area on my to-do list.

Always good to have a friend who will carry an iron skillet. Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Thanks to all for the kind words. He's one of my good friends that LOVES to take stuff and LOVES a fire (he always has a saw with him). He's also a great cook. A good time was had by all.

Dale, I would love to spend another couple of days in this area to walk all of the creeks.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks for the trip report. Is that your buddy in the background of the picture showing the old vehicle?

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    Thanks for the trip report. Is that your buddy in the background of the picture showing the old vehicle?
    You're welcome. Yes, that's him.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Looks like you guys had a great trip. I love those water falls.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    Great trip.....We have done some hikes to Big tree.....that's a great area....had thought about doing an overnight there.....I have not been able to find many maps....guess that's why yo see on the news around here about people being lost in Bankhead .....lol

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

AL>Bankhead National Forest>Davis Creek Area

I think the best map (the one I use most often) is this one: http://cartocraft.com/concrete5/prod...ational_forest. It can be purchased at Alabama Outdoors, Mountain High Outfitters, or the best price is the Warrior Trading Post in Wren, AL.

www.sipseywilderness.org also has maps that may be downloaded for free of the various trails.

Although this is slightly dated, this one is also good: http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf

I generally use a combination of these (along with other resources) to plan my adventures. If you are staying on the trails, any of the above will suffice your needs. Just remember, there are no trail blazes, so knowledge of land navigation is helpful.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 04-05-2015 at 22:31.

• + New Posts