Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How do you pack your quilts?.

I have always used the stuff sacks provide with my top and bottom quilt then they both go into trash compactor bags. I have seen others just put directly into trash bag, use dry sacks and compression sacks. What are your thoughts/ ideas? Thank you

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Lots of discussion on this, but always a fun topic.

By putting two full stuff sacks in a big compactor bag, you're really not hurting anything since you can put some other items in there like clothing to fill the voids. Just adding an extra ounce or two.

I like to simply stuff my top quilt, under quilt, and down jacket in a pack liner - basically just a 45L roll top dry sack.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a cuben fiber stuff sack that I put UQ and TQ in. Then I also have a trash compactor bag inside my pack. Better safe than sorry.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My pack is pretty water resistant. So I prefer to throw my quilts in the bottom of my pack - along with any other squishy stuff I won't need access to - and let my other gear go on top where the down fills in the space nicely, at least in the bottom half of the pack anyway. I like to keep my stuff sacks handy in case I need extra protection. Have not had an issue yet with this method and a pack cover.

Occasionally, when using a smaller pack, I will use a compression sack when I really need to pack it down. But I find I don't get that much pack space savings out of them, so I only use them when I need just a little more room, 'cause that's all I get with them compared to the other way.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I am a rammer and crammer. In goes the compactor bag, then everything I want dry after that. I find it keeps my pack a more consistent shape. I hope this helps.

- Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I'm of the loose packed quilts crowd as well. I use a trash compactor bag as a liner then in go quilts, down jacket, down socks, down hat.... and anything else that I want to keep from getting wet. That all gets squished in and the bag folded over on itself, tucked in to the edge of the pack. On top of that goes things like hammock, tarp, cooking gear and food bag.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I like to put the quilts inside of the trash compactor bags without using the stuff sacks. Not necessarily for the weight savings, but it does a better job conforming to the shape of the pack, and less shifting seems to take place while I'm walking.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I prefer mine in their own stuff sacks then into my plastic liner.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I have needed extra space during the winter because I'm taking extra clothes and using more insulation. I've used compression sacks for quilts to give me a little extra room within a trash compactor bag. Will probably back off on that with spring/summer loads.

You may wonder about affecting down by using stuff sacks, etc. I did. But I learned from advice on the forum it's unlike to degrade the guilts if these are stored that way just during the trip itself. Here's the thread I started last fall that'll give you some more info.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I have needed extra space during the winter because I'm taking extra clothes and using more insulation. I've used compression sacks for quilts to give me a little extra room within a trash compactor bag. Will probably back off on that with spring/summer loads.

You may wonder about affecting down by using stuff sacks, etc. I did. But I learned from advice on the forum it's unlike to degrade the guilts if these are stored that way just during the trip itself. Here's the thread I started last fall that'll give you some more info.
    I just thought of something. If you were worried about compressing the quilts too much in the winter, you could try to find or make some type of narrow/long sack to put clothes in. Then you could put that on the outside of the pack, maybe on the bottom using the straps (if your pack has those). I'm not a fan of anything on the outside of my pack, but it's just an idea to free up space inside for less-compressed quilts.

And I agree with stuffing and degrading of quilts. I think we're talking weeks and months of storage before it would be a problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast