Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If I go with ripstop, I would only need the 1.1 oz (double layers) for my 180ish lbs, right? Or should I try to get 1.7 or 1.9? If I have to settle for something other than ripstop, what weight fabric should I look for? And if I have multiple options, none of them being ripstop, what would the order of preference be (for quality and ease of sewing by hand)?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidstew View Post
    If I go with ripstop, I would only need the 1.1 oz (double layers) for my 180ish lbs, right? Or should I try to get 1.7 or 1.9? If I have to settle for something other than ripstop, what weight fabric should I look for? And if I have multiple options, none of them being ripstop, what would the order of preference be (for quality and ease of sewing by hand)?
    I guess my response to that is it depends on why you are asking. If gram weenie-dom is where you live then fabric weights become important. At 180# IMO you could use any fabric you can get. If you are looking in Wally World your choices will be decidedly limited to what is in stock and how long you are willing to wait for something to maybe show up. If you are not seeking to live as the reigning monarch of gram weenie-dom then I don't think the weight of the fabric (within reason) is an issue for where you are shopping. Obviously I don't think you need to go with pants weight fabric. That's too thick and heavy even for me. But as far as Wal-Mart is concerned, thin nylon/polyester is thin nylon/polyester. If you want to go through the PITA of buying some to take home and weigh it then go back and hope they still have it when you get there... do your own thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

And being 5'7", how long would I need it? I'm thinking around 7.5-8.5 for each layer (based on what I've read on Just Jeffs hammock page- my height+2'+enough extra to whip and tie off), just not sure if I remembered it right.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidstew View Post
    As a data point for you, I weigh just over 190 and use a double layer 1.1 with no problems. I've also made some single layer ones in the 1.7 / 1.9 range which also support me well. All of them have successfully supported 30 pounds more than that in the past...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    As a data point for you, I weigh just over 190 and use a double layer 1.1 with no problems. I've also made some single layer ones in the 1.7 / 1.9 range which also support me well. All of them have successfully supported 30 pounds more than that in the past...
    That's what I figured (about the 1.7 and 1.9), but I'm planning on double layer so that I'm not laying directly on the pad and it either shifting or sticking to me.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm 5'8" and use a starting length of 132" for my "big ones" and 120" for my "little ones".

Honestly, I can be comfortable in either, but the 132" sure is nice and roomy for not much weight or cost addition.

Jbo

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Length depends in part on what your whipping/gathering technique is going to be.I shoo t for a finished length => 120" for the fabric with a internal ridgeline of 100". A channel draw takes the least extra fabric, tied ends takes the most. My recommendation is to start too long as you can always make it shorter. I did my first too short and found it was essentially useless for me. 3.5 - 4 yards would be my range.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    I'm 5'8" and use a starting length of 132" for my "big ones" and 120" for my "little ones".

Honestly, I can be comfortable in either, but the 132" sure is nice and roomy for not much weight or cost addition.

Jbo
    I second this! I love my 10' hammocks, but I really love my 11' hammock.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Digital camo
    Tarp
    In progress DIY
    what about a queen sized polyester flat sheet,doubled an hemmed?

Hammock
    DIY Digital camo
    Tarp
    In progress DIY
    Oh by the way,if u like getting ur materials a WM,you'd better start buying them up,all new and remodeled WM stores effective june 09 will no longer have fabric or craft dept, in them ,not enough money in keep ing the stock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast