Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

Polyester webbing knot question

I'm ready to purchase a new suspension system. I wanna get the strapworks polyester webbing that I here is so great. I tried of my stuff stretching in wet conditions. I've been using climbing webbing. My question is can the strapworks stuff use water knots and overhand knots like in my pic? Right now my webbing is 2 15ft sections and I don't mind trying and retying the webbing to get it right. (I prefer this for weight savings). My suspension now weighs 8oz with for webbing when using 1 inch, 6oz for 1/2inch webbing. Should I suspect my 1inch strapworks to weigh less? Main thing I want to do is keep trying the way I have been. Polyester is better than polypro right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    I'm ready to purchase a new suspension system. I wanna get the strapworks polyester webbing that I here is so great. I tried of my stuff stretching in wet conditions. I've been using climbing webbing. My question is can the strapworks stuff use water knots and overhand knots like in my pic?
    yes if you get the 1" or 1.5" polyester seatbelt webbing. If you get their regular 1" polyester webbing it is very thick (in comparison) and very stiff and I find it difficult to tie knots with.

Right now my webbing is 2 15ft sections and I don't mind trying and retying the webbing to get it right. (I prefer this for weight savings). My suspension now weighs 8oz with for webbing when using 1 inch, 6oz for 1/2inch webbing. Should I suspect my 1inch strapworks to weigh less?
    The seatbelt webbing is lighter than the regular polyester webbing. I suspect without really knowing anything about your climbing webbing that the Strapworks 1" polyester seatbelt webbing will weigh about the same as the 1" webbing you are currently using. The 1/2" webbing is really too small and I would not recommend continuing to use such small webbing for around the trees.

Also, if weight is a consideration for you, I would suggest using the webbing only for tree huggers (i.e., around the trees) and then using rope from the hammock to the tree hugger. There are many ways of using rope for the suspension from the hammock to the tree hugger. I currently use and favor the Whoopie Sling suspension. There is an entire thread devoted to the Whoopie Sling suspension.

Polyester is better than polypro right?
    I think so. For equivalent weight, I think the polyester is stronger.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I'm ready to purchase a new suspension system. I wanna get the strapworks polyester webbing that I here is so great. I tried of my stuff stretching in wet conditions. I've been using climbing webbing. My question is can the strapworks stuff use water knots and overhand knots like in my pic? Right now my webbing is 2 15ft sections and I don't mind trying and retying the webbing to get it right. (I prefer this for weight savings). My suspension now weighs 8oz with for webbing when using 1 inch, 6oz for 1/2inch webbing. Should I suspect my 1inch strapworks to weigh less? Main thing I want to do is keep trying the way I have been. Polyester is better than polypro right?
    Go for the whoppie sling and never look back + 2 6 foot or 4 foot polypro 1inch in royal blue =) pieces of webbing

Wait a gosh darn minute teedee, i was under the impression that polypro was the way to go! Guess i made a mistake...have to order more webbing now, i wondered why it was lighter yet thicker than my bb webbing.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    ALso what kind of thread do you guys use when your sewing these loops in the webbing? How about heavy duty nylon thread?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    ALso what kind of thread do you guys use when your sewing these loops in the webbing? How about heavy duty nylon thread?
    For most hammock related applications, polyester is your best bet.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Go for the whoppie sling and never look back + 2 6 foot or 4 foot polypro 1inch in royal blue =) pieces of webbing

Wait a gosh darn minute teedee, i was under the impression that polypro was the way to go! Guess i made a mistake...have to order more webbing now, i wondered why it was lighter yet thicker than my bb webbing.
    For tree huggers - polypro is probably okay.

I just prefer polyester webbing when I used it for the suspension.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    For tree huggers - polypro is probably okay.

I just prefer polyester webbing when I used it for the suspension.
    i hope it is, only thing is, its a tad lighter (good), but tends to sag a bit and retain water (bad)

Images
    1" polypro is very light (probably the lightest) but only rated to 400# i believe, and a few folks have broken it.
    1" polyester webbing will be heavier, but stronger and has good stretch-resistence. owf polyester camo webbing is around 2000# and lighter than any of the strapworks stuff. the harbor freight polyester is a little lighter than the owf, but it's yellow. my black polyester is alomst the exact same weight as the owf camo as well.

if you're a lightweight person, you might get by with 1" polypro if you're careful

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I think I already know the answer, but which is stronger, a sewn loop or a knotted one?

What is the preferred knot for forming an end loop in webbing? I've been using a figure 8, but there are other good options, I'm sure.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I hope i did this right.I put the wedding thru the end of the hammock,coming from the hammock to the rings and i double the webbing and loop thru the rings and tied a fig.8.the webbing is rated at 1300lbs/working load is 433lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I think I already know the answer, but which is stronger, a sewn loop or a knotted one?

What is the preferred knot for forming an end loop in webbing? I've been using a figure 8, but there are other good options, I'm sure.

• + New Posts