Tarp
    10x10
    Insulation
    DIY 5oz CS UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBuckles Strap
    Images

My Bear Taco. Home Made Hammock

I set up my wife's crappy old sewing machine, bought some fabric and thread and started experimenting. Mind, I had never used a sewing machine before and this one is especially horrid to work with. I've spent hours picking out seams and re sewing because of that blasted machine. The hammock shown is actually my 3rd attempt.

The hammock is made of 2 layers of untreated, breathable,1.2 oz ripstop nylon. The interior is coyote tan an the outside is Woodland Marpat. The fabric dimension are ~11 foot by ~5 foot. The dimensions may vary a little due to hemming.

I've been on many trips with this hammock so far. And I've loaned it out a bit too. It is comfortable, lightweight and compacts very well. I am able to sleep on my side in it as well. My stuffsack contains the entire hammock and rigging.

My findings so far:
    I should have made at least one layer from 1.9 oz ripstop. I'm a heavy guy at 275lbs. I cause the fabric to stretch a little more than I like, sometimes resulting in the sides of the hammock squeezing my shoulders. It'd be perfect if I were under 230lbs. My other prototype is made of two layers of 1.9oz and 2.2 oz waterproof fabric, constructed in the same manner as the one I use now. It's very comfortable because the fabric doesn't stretch at all, but it is very bulky and a bit heavier. It is warmer on it's own than the lighter hammock due to it stopping the wind. Over all I find that hammocks are infinitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground as far as support goes. I freaking hate having a pad in there. It slides around, and isn't wide enough to keep my shoulder warm. I am going to build an under quilt as soon as I get money for materials. I also have to learn how to sew on zippers so i can have a bugnet.

On a side note, I could have gone out and purchased a nice hammock with a bug net and fly for the money I've spent on material. But then I wouldn't have learned anything. Thanks for all the tips and tricks you guys have posted, they were invaluable.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Hey really nicely done. I like the camo pattern too.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    what is the problem with the machine? Maybe it is something fixable. One comment about the setup. In the picture of the ring buckle I would suggest a couple of things. First change the larkshead to a prussic. It's a simple matter of an additional wrap but it will make the whole thing more secure. Larksheads have been known to dis-engage when they are not under stress. You don't want to have look around for your rings cause the stupid knot upset. Secondly, make sure to get the rings properly aligned over each other. Offset like they appear leaves the webbing free to slip more easily.

Just finicky things I admit. Looks good otherwise. I hear you about ripping out seams. been there done that, got the t-shirt and the hat and working on the tote bag.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Nice job and good looking camo.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Really great looking hammock. Looks like fabric from DIY Tactical. I like the two types for two layers. And that's a tiny little package you've got there, nice for a hike.

What did you bind the edges with? Is it just gross grain or something else?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Wow, Good work and looks strong too. I like the camo.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY dlb 1.9/1.5
    Tarp
    10x10
    Insulation
    DIY 5oz CS UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBuckles Strap
    Images
    Thanks for the kind replies everyone.

To answer some questions:

Ramblinrev... Well, the machine is old and has never been serviced. It routinely tangles, snaps the thread, or doesn't feed the material. I'm gonna save up and by a semi-industrial machine. So far that spectra line hasn't come loose on the buckles. After holding me all night pretty much everything on that hammock is locked in place.

sclittlefield... good eye, that is indeed fabric from DIY tactical. The edges are just 1.25 in grosgrain from Joans.

I'm kindof a camo nut. I don't like standing out in the woods. This hammock certainly is stealthy. My next hammock will be in multicam. I've already located the fabric. And I'll probably make an underquilt with the same material. I know many people don't like camo, but I sure do.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Love it!! I too am a camo guy. To qoute you, "kind of a camo nut" is like saying "kind of pregnant". Nice avatar, too.
    One question ... where did you get the waterbottle in you pics, I've been looking for one exactly like that.??

Good job on your hammock. My machine had some of the same symptoms awhile back. Simple fixes to start with are the thread tension, needles and thread choices, etc.
    But after I went thru all those and a couple hundred feet of thread..I pulled the machine apart and found a loose gear on the boobin driveshaft. Now I don't know for sure that this IS YOUR problem, but it sounds very similar.
    dead battery 078.JPG
    After I tightened the set screw/gear, my machine ran alot smoother and steadier, capable of long unjamming stitches... May want to give this a try, or take it in to get a check-up/tune-up. A good cleaning may be in order, if the machine has been neglected. When I first started to make gear, my machine wouldn't consistantly advance the fabric. I pulled the plate off below the foot, and found a big glob of fuzzies (tech. term).
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Question

I really like this camo pattern ... where can one find this?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies