HH inner ridgeline

I was just curious about an idea i have to replace the middle section of the inside ridge line on a HH with shock cord. I thought this would make for more comfort while lounging, id like to try it see how it might work. The question i need answered is does the inside ridge line bare any weight from the hammock itself or does it simply hold up the bug mesh?

Thanks,

EA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You're asking for a ripped bugnet by messing around with the HH ridgeline. There's no good reason to mess with it, unless you just want to invalidate the warranty.

The ridgeline insures a consistent hang if you have a hang angle that is not the optimal 30 degree angle.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    The fixed structural RL protects your zipper, bugnet and in certain cases also your hammock body. It shall give you an optimal lay in your hammock . It's really no good idea to replace your RL by shock cord (but you could use an additional extra strong expander cord in interaction with your fixed structural RL perhaps. Try it out, perhaps this makes sense for you).

[QUOTE=SilvrSurfr;1439643]You're asking for a ripped bugnet by messing around with the HH ridgeline. There's no good reason to mess with it, unless you just want to invalidate the warranty.

I appreciate the concern and the advice, i bought the scout HH, at under 100$ i can afford another should i do unrepairable damage. I bought this hammock to use but also to experiment with, voiding the warranty is not a concern to me.

So in short your saying that the inner RL does offer some support to the lay of the hammock. Thanks for the info. Replacing the RL with shock cord would undoubtably effect this.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    The fixed structural RL protects your zipper, bugnet and in certain cases also your hammock body. It shall give you an optimal lay in your hammock . It's really no good idea to replace your RL by shock cord (but you could use an additional extra strong expander cord in interaction with your fixed structural RL perhaps. Try it out, perhaps this makes sense for you).
    I might try this.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rap Rings
    As long as you are experimenting...

If the issue is that the structural ridgeline in the HH Scout gets in the way, why not put an ADDITIONAL structural ridgeline farther up your suspension line, and THEN cut the original ridgeline? From there you can add your shockcord and put a grosgrain tab in the center of the bugnet and run a piece of cord or a mitten hook through it from the new ridgeline to the shockcord thereby getting the bugnet out of the way.

• + New Posts