Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Question New Setup for BIG GUY...thoughts and questions

hello all. Been lurking for awhile and just recently got into the hammock scene, but now I'm really hooked. I'm currently using an ENO onelink system with a doublenest. I have discovered that while this hammock is great for lounging around and hanging out I question the overall comfort camping overnight, it's a touch short and it's hard to stretch out with the bug net, which is essential in FL. A little about myself. I am a big guy, and not a 250 big guy, but I'm about 370lbs and 6ft tall. I am looking for something in the higher spectrum length wise 10.5ft and longer. I have a few options that I am looking at, as I have done a bit of research, but wanted to look to more seasoned hangers for guidance.

Thoughts on...
    Option 1: Warbonnet XLC double layer 1.7 with MJ tarp
    Option 2: SMR Pares with Nube Shelter
    Option 3: Kammock Roo with WB MJ tarp
    Option 4: I am open to suggestion if you have an compelling argument 😃

Also a couple questions...
    1. I am not going to be hiking the whole AT anytime soon but would like to use this backpacking. Are 1.8 amsteel whoopie slings and carabiners similar in strength/reliability? While I like the confidence I get from the atlas straps on my ENO,they are a touch heavy to a pack.

2. Any pros/cons to an attached bug net vs separate? And is there any suggestions for keeping bugs from biting you through the hammock on the attached bug nets?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like your option #1.
    Always be vigilant about the trees you choose to hang off of as well.
    As to bugs, you will be on a pad or have a UQ. Also you can spray/soak your hammock with permethrin. I have never been bitting by a skeeter through my hammock. Also the double layer helps.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I bet you are going to find almost everyone is partial to choice #1.

ENO is good to start or for casual Hanging. When you test out the camping hammocks you will quickly feel and see the difference.

My daughters companion is 6 ft. 5 in.ish. Well over the 250 lbs. he admits to. I finally managed to get him in my Hennessey Survivor. He really likes it and I suspect he will be willing to try it again. His back and legs bother him a lot, he found laying in the hammock very comfortable, nothing ached.

The problem is, in my humble opinion Hammocks are addictive. You buy one, then another catches your eye, you buy it, then a new design comes out or a new fabric, oops all the sudden you have 5 or 6 hammocks, next you are having your Dutch Ware delivered to your place of employment. Then there are the DIY projects, you will need a sewing machine, maybe two or three, each one does something a bit better than the other. Things never seem to end, always something new and attractive.

Everything comes down to personal taste, what fits you body, finances, use, taste and experience. Most of us find as we mature in Hanging our taste changes. I liked the bug net attached to the hammock in the beginning, now I feel too enclosed with the bug netting attached. Also I switched to a Bridge hammock, because I am able to see out of them and they are easier for me to exit.

Length makes a difference, type of fabric makes a difference. I like the double layer because the skeeters bite through the single layer.

Try before you buy is the best way to go.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I think you would be very happy with the WB XLC 1.7 DL. I'm 285lbs and it's awesome for my big frame. Thing is a beast.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I bet you are going to find almost everyone is partial to choice #1.

ENO is good to start or for casual Hanging. When you test out the camping hammocks you will quickly feel and see the difference.

My daughters companion is 6 ft. 5 in.ish. Well over the 250 lbs. he admits to. I finally managed to get him in my Hennessey Survivor. He really likes it and I suspect he will be willing to try it again. His back and legs bother him a lot, he found laying in the hammock very comfortable, nothing ached.

The problem is, in my humble opinion Hammocks are addictive. You buy one, then another catches your eye, you buy it, then a new design comes out or a new fabric, oops all the sudden you have 5 or 6 hammocks, next you are having your Dutch Ware delivered to your place of employment. Then there are the DIY projects, you will need a sewing machine, maybe two or three, each one does something a bit better than the other. Things never seem to end, always something new and attractive.

Everything comes down to personal taste, what fits you body, finances, use, taste and experience. Most of us find as we mature in Hanging our taste changes. I liked the bug net attached to the hammock in the beginning, now I feel too enclosed with the bug netting attached. Also I switched to a Bridge hammock, because I am able to see out of them and they are easier for me to exit.

Length makes a difference, type of fabric makes a difference. I like the double layer because the skeeters bite through the single layer.

Try before you buy is the best way to go.
    SOLID post. This guy gets it.

I feel like you just penned my unfolding hammock journey. Get out of my head!
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Fellow big guy here. I would skip out on the whoopie slings. I tried that system on one of my hammocks. I just don't trust it. It always felt a bit sketchy and one night I had my foot end slip and drop about 4 inches. It may hve been user error, but it scared the stuffing out of me. I now use a cinch buckle system on my XLC and have has no issues with it. It feels sturdy and safe.

As far as the XLC, it's big and comfy. I would just say be aware of which direction you lay. I always use to lay head right feet left. My XLC is the opposite. I have gotten use to it, but if I could do it all again I would contact them first and see if they could switch it up for me.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I decided to make my own and camped for a long time with a 1.4oz ripstop nylon single layer hammock using straps and felt it was a solid setup. Loaded up to 400lbs with no issues and routinely slept 2... regardless of which system you choose, longevity will be determined greatly by how you handle or care about your hang. Don't scuff the bottom and you shouldn't have problems falling through. Wrapped ends (not the channeled gathered ends) have worked best for me too...
    Welcome to the club!

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Good information here, as fellow big guy I've had a numerous amount of different hammocks, including the xlc, and that is choice you can't go wrong with, affordable has length and width and ease of set up with cinch buckles. But as noted above its a obsession as we find ourselves moving towards different fabrics , options and priorities as your hiking and camping styles evolve. For me it definetly has to be straps and cinch buckles less fiddle more strength. I also am looking at the cinch bug from dutch ware. Whoopi carabiner work fine but don't give me the security and ease of set up.
    With all that said this is my current line up of hammocks and uses
    SIMPLY LIGHT DESIGNS double layer of 2.3 use mainly in backyard and some backpacking and all car camping it's 72" wide and 11' long. Total weight for set up is 58 ounces.
    HAMMECK envy-s. Double layer of 40d. Acu camo it's 64" wide and 11' long. It has a peekaboo cover and I am also getting a separate bugnet for it. Used for backpacking mostly some backyard, at about 40 ounces it's durable well made has what I want for backpacking, I also have two net less hammocks
    a single layer 2.3 from simply light design, and a double layer 1.9&1.6 hyper d from hK2001 from here on forums. I use these in between or in winter .
    as far as tarps the wb super fly is hard to beat price wise but any of the vendors here are great if all your needing is basic coverage then check out wilderness logics tadpole or ahe toxaway tarp.
    I would suggest to check out Hammeck and their hammock line up and simply light designs too. Price wise easier and craftsmanship is top notch.
    one final thought I always have a bugnet from may to october, wether it's attached or added on. That for sake of peace of mind and slumber. Any questions shoot me a pm.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7Dl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Brandon at Warbonnet can make the XLC in either left or right side sleeper. Just ask when ordering.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Can't speak to the Nube or Kammock. Having been using an XLC DL for quite some time, very happy, solid product. My 'specs', 5'11"/350lb. By the time my gear and dog(s) were loaded in the hammock, load was about 400lbs. Only ever used stock straps, triangles and Dutch clips with this setup. No complaints after several hundred nights of use.

Have 1/8 amsteel whoopies and some 7/64ths as well. All work well, no slippage issues. I like them for my lighter weight, day hike setups.

I happen to prefer triangles to cinch buckles and the cinch buckles can twist. A little extra attention, some strap stays and you're good to go with cinch buckles. Liking the looks of the new Dutch options but haven't laid hands on yet.

If you are broad shouldered, wider fabric might be something to consider. Dream Hammocks offers plenty of options along these lines.

My preference is for an integrated bug net, removable is a nice option, though honestly, when using it, I rarely remove it entirely. I do like the tie outs in the WBBB/XLC to keep the bug net off your face.

Another setup which I am really enjoying at the moment is a DIY 11.5' - 12' single layer hammock out of HyperD 1.6 or a Double Layer using Argon 1.6 and some 1.1. The extra length isn't that much extra weight and allows for some serious lounging options, no calf ridge, no ridgeline hitting you in the back of the head when using it like a chair.

A removable bugnet works, have several, but I find that the netting often hits me in the head when I'm lounging on a serious diagonal. That give the bugs a chance to bite me on the old noggin.

You have nothing but options and if you have a chance to make a group hang, you can try many of them on for size. Best of luck on your search.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast