WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis

Underquilt Protector - Necessary?

Since transitioning to hammock camping, I've yet to take it out during adverse weather (other than an overnight rain/hang in the backyard). My main concern is humidity/mist and the underquilt. I hike a lot on the AT in GA and NC. It can get very humid. Has anyone here experienced significant loss of insulation, or gradual accumulation of moisture in their UQ over a multi-day hike in humid conditions? I'm trying to determine how necessary an UQ might be.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I thought an UQ protector was to shield the UQ from rain blown under your tarp or water splashing up from below. I don't think it would help much against humidity.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I thought an UQ protector was to shield the UQ from rain blown under your tarp or water splashing up from below. I don't think it would help much against humidity.
    Agree with this +1
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis
    To clarify, a better way of asking would have been humidity induced mist...such as when hiking in the smokies.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I wonder about this. While I almost never encounter this type of weather, there was ONE time when I was on the Manistee River in MI. Actually, it was my last time in a tent right before getting a hammock. I woke up at 2am for some business and it was just a thick fog/mist. Looking back, I thought I would have been screwed with my down gear and a hammock! I bet a UQP would have actually helped in this situation, but can't say for sure.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis
    My way of thinking...I could always hang low, pull the tarp sides in to prevent splash, etc. The mist will always be there. My HG UQ has a DWR finish...I might just manage that. Ensure I refresh it periodically and call it good.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slammiam View Post
    My way of thinking...I could always hang low, pull the tarp sides in to prevent splash, etc. The mist will always be there. My HG UQ has a DWR...I might just manage that. Ensure I refresh it periodically and call it good.
    I don't own a UQ protector because I plan to do what you mentioned hang low and pull the tarp in. I've never seen crazy weather where a protector would have helped but then again I'm a weekend kind of backpacker and would probably cancel my trip if the forecast was calling for really terrible weather.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I don't own a UQ protector because I plan to do what you mentioned hang low and pull the tarp in. I've never seen crazy weather where a protector would have helped but then again I'm a weekend kind of backpacker and would probably cancel my trip if the forecast was calling for really terrible weather.
    I've done up to 2 week stretches on the AT, and by the end of some of these trips...my down had accumulated quite a bit of moisture from the environment. I'll need more experience, however having exposed down is worrisome for me. I'm not sure I'd take it (hammock) into the mountains during the colder months. One option I'd like to see on zero degree UQ's, is one made with GWR (gore wind stopper) fabric.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slammiam View Post
    I've done up to 2 week stretches on the AT, and by the end of some of these trips...my down had accumulated quite a bit of moisture from the environment. I'll need more experience, however having exposed down is worrisome for me. I'm not sure I'd take it (hammock) into the mountains during the colder months. One option I'd like to see on zero degree UQ's, is one made with GWR (gore wind stopper) fabric.
    Do you have that new treated down (for example Activ-Dri) which is supposed to increase the water resistance? I suppose for really damp environments there are always the synthetic UQs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis
    Yes. The down will still lose a lot of loft from the humidity and the 8+ hours of compression each day. If you have sunshine, it's no problem to dry it out and restore loft...however, I've had weeks of gray...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast