Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW

Hammock Bug Net/Net Tent Combo?

I'm trying to get smart about my gear and make a long term plan that will enable my oldest son and me to take longer backpacking trips comfortably. The biggest limiting factor is funds, so I'm thinking some DIY projects are the way to go. I don't relish the idea of having to do that much myself, but my time is worth less than my cash. The very next thing I need to make is a bug net for my hammock, because the mosquitoes are out in force now. I have a painter's drop cloth I'm using for a tarp, but I will eventually want to replace it with something nicer and more durable as well. If I get untreated ripstop 2nds and do the silicone impregnating myself, I think I can build a really nice one for around $30 or less (not counting guylines and stakes). With the best lightweight lines and ti stakes, it'd be maybe another $30, much less if I cheap out. I need to focus on the bug net for now though.

But... I was thinking, wouldn't it be sweet if I had a tarp that could be used both with my hammock and as my primary ground shelter (i.e. in a clearing or above tree line). Taking that one step further, I'd want a net tent designed to fit nicely under my tarp, maybe hung with mitten hooks or toggles from loops on the underside of the tarp. And, wouldn't it be sweet if the same net tent could be used to keep the bugs off when hanging in the hammock? Plus, I could put a side entry zipper on the net tent for when I want to use the tarp in porch mode. Since I want the tarp to house two, the net tent would accomodate two side by side when on the ground or two stacked vertically when hanging. I think such a setup would be reasonable lightweight, economical, and extremely flexible. You wouldn't be limited by weight between choosing your ground kit or your hammock kit before taking a trip, because it's the same kit and should work in 3 seasons. You could switch from ground to hammock at will from one day to the next and still be dry and protected from bugs without extra weight.

So, it seems like it'd be easier to make the tarp first and then design the net tent to work with it, but as I said, I need to focus on the bug net next. Does anyone know of a generic bug net design that would work for stacked hammocks and could be modified to work on the ground (hung from loops or a ridgeline) without too much trouble? The Fronkey one wouldn't work because of the two occupancy requirement, plus the entry/exit would be awkward on the ground, and I'm not sure how it'd work with a ground sheet.

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    You are asking a lot from one piece of gear. Seems like the multi-purpose, not good at anything rule applies. Bug nets are one of your easier DIY projects. As far as using it for ground, you probably are better off with a bug bivy simply because your hammock net is better suited for hanging. You could make a netted hammock that had removable mesh that would make it useable on the ground. Bulk and weight are your trade offs. As far as tarps go, silnylon isn't that expensive and it would be hard to come close to the 1.3 opy you get buying the material. 2nds run from $3-7 a yard and RBTR has 1sts for $6 a yard. Only need 9 yards for a 4 door.

Hammock
    Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    Yeah, I was doing a bunch of sketches, and it seems the tarp is the easy part. Making the bug net work for both without being overly large is the real challenge. diygearsupply has 1.1 oz ripstop 2nds in tan for $1.95/yd (when it's stocked - which it isn't currently - but I can wait). What's "1.3 opy"?

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    1.3 ounces per square yard. Under $60 for good tarp material is a good deal. Unless you know of a way to do silicone impregnation where it comes out like commercially made fabric, I can't imagine it would be worth the effort or be any better as far as HH rating goes or weight. I've seen the DIY silnylon videos and it looks like a lot of work and mess for something that isn't worth the dollar savings.

• + New Posts