Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

how to talk wife into sewing for me..

Im going to ask her to sew an odd size silnylon tarp for me. Shes an accomplished sewer but has never dealt with silnylon. What kind of differences will she confront messing with this kind of material? (It may take a bigger bribe from me) Thanx

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Im going to ask her to sew an odd size silnylon tarp for me. Shes an accomplished sewer but has never dealt with silnylon. What kind of differences will she confront messing with this kind of material? (It may take a bigger bribe from me) Thanx

The 2 biggest issues will be the size of the pieces and the slipperiness of the material. BTW, make sure she doesn't use cotton thread. It will eventually rot and your tarp will fall apart.
    Peace,
    Joe

Images
    Has your wife ever made a wedding or prom dress? If so, she knows how to deal with the large, slippery pieces. I suggest a serious bribe.... flowers, candy and a foot rub.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Silnyl has been the undoing of many a fine relationship..... when she finds out how cheaply you can get most products made of silnyl she is going to extract pain on you at the rate of 10 fold the hassles you are setting her up for.....YPMV...

As a purveyor of silnyl tarps and bags I'm biased....

But know this.... Personally we gave up sewing this snot slippery stuff three years ago in favor of having a factory with double lap, double needle machines and automatic hemming machines do it private lable for us.... All in all better products and lower cost....

Certainly my days are more pleasant not messing with Silnyl.... But hey some folk get off on pain... try it you may like it.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Forget getting her to sew it. Ask her to show you how to sew. As Brian Frankle said: if you learn how to sew, you can make whatever the Hell you want.
    Last edited by funbun; 05-04-2007 at 19:39.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just got done with two tarps and four stuff sacks. I can honestly say that I would rather slam my hand in a car door than sew silnylon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Has your wife ever made a wedding or prom dress? If so, she knows how to deal with the large, slippery pieces. I suggest a serious bribe.... flowers, candy and a foot rub.
    True Enough! When i asked my wife to sew a plastic tarp she demanded that i do the laundry two weeks in a row as a payment. A small tarp for two weeks worth of laundy? That started me up in the right direction. I never asked her again to sew anything for me! Seriously, I think the wife did it on purpose. I got the feeling that she was laughing behind my back. I have no regrets though...

Images
    Get her a puppy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Forget getting her to sew it. Ask her to show you how to sew. As Brian Frankle said: if you learn how to sew, you can make whatever the Hell you want.
    I'm with you here. Get her to teach you. I get a great feeling knowing that I made most of my gear, or all that I can at the time. Plus it is easier to fix if you need to.

BTW, I don't think sewing sil is that bad. I would rathere sew it than DWR or untreated ripstop. So much easier to deal with. You do not need to go through the added step of heat sealing the edges.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    BTW, I don't think sewing sil is that bad. I would rather sew it than DWR or untreated ripstop. So much easier to deal with. You do not need to go through the added step of heat sealing the edges.
    Same here. Sil doesn't stretch nearly as much as 1.1 oz. DWR when you're working with it, either.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast