Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Fleece (or other) underquilt for summers indoors?

Now that overnight temps are starting to consistently be in the 72-72 range in my house at night, I'm trying to figure out what to do for bottom insulation (I sleep indoors in my hammock every night). It's in that weird temperature range where if I use my Baby Orca or Phoenix, I'm too warm to fall asleep, but if I don't use one, I wake up cold in the middle of the night.

So since I'm about to journey into the wide, wide world of DIY soon I thought about trying to make a not-very-insulative underquilt that wouldn't get me too warm at bedtime but would keep me warm enough later in the night. Right now I'm thinking a very thin piece of fleece with a layer of MEMBRANE 10 from RSBTR on the outside. Do you think that will do the trick, or should I use a different insulative layer? I'm just looking to add maybe 5* or less underneath me. I sleep with a very light weight silk sleeping bag liner on top, and with the ceiling fan on low.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Why not make an UQ like a PLUQ from a cheap fleece blanket? I don't think you need the nylon on the outside for indoors.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Why not make an UQ like a PLUQ from a cheap fleece blanket? I don't think you need the nylon on the outside for indoors.
    I want the UQ to match my hammock.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    FYI. Sewing Fleece and nylon together is not easy. The properties is miles apart and the fleece will stretch while sewing and the nylon will not. If you do it you have to use a lot of pins. I tried to make a TQ for home use not so long ago. Did not end well!
    I actually had the impression fleece was easy to sew but it’s not. Very different than anything else I have tried. It’s a new learning curve.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    FYI. Sewing Fleece and nylon together is not easy. The properties is miles apart and the fleece will stretch while sewing and the nylon will not. If you do it you have to use a lot of pins. I tried to make a TQ for home use not so long ago. Did not end well!
    I actually had the impression fleece was easy to sew but it’s not.
    I ran into this with my first attempt at an underquilt. Try this, instead of trying to sew the fleece to the nylon and then folding over for the hem, just pin them together and fold over and run one stitch. Two passes taken care of in one pass and the fleece will not stretch because the nylon is on top and bottom, they are the only things the sewing foot and dogs are touching, and you can hold it tight in front and behind the machine to make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I actually had the impression fleece was easy to sew but it’s not. Very different than anything else I have tried. It’s a new learning curve.

A walking foot will solve this issue.
    I have made a few baby carrier covers/blankets with cotton top and fleece type mink on bottom and it is challenging with a basic foot. I used to sew 99% of the time with the basic zigzag foot, but specialty feet really add to the finished quality.
    Some feet that'd be worth looking into...

-Walking foot (even feed foot) - good for our fleece issue because the foot has feed dogs and feeds evenly.
    -rolled hemmer foot - has a funnel to roll the fabric into a consistent hem.
    -edge foot - has a guide plate so your top stitch will be straight & even from the edge of the fabric.
    -adjustable blind hem foot - can be used the same as an edge foot but adjustable.
    -overlock foot - makes serger like anti-fray hems. Must be at minimum a zigzag machine.
    -roller foot - has rollers, good for leather, PVC types. Would probably work for cuben well.
    -zipper foot - has a grove to run an even stitch.

There are tons more, but these are some of the more useful ones for our projects.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NenjaBen View Post
    A walking foot will solve this issue.
    I have made a few baby carrier covers/blankets with cotton top and fleece type mink on bottom and it is challenging with a basic foot. I used to sew 99% of the time with the basic zigzag foot, but specialty feet really add to the finished quality.
    Some feet that'd be worth looking into...

-Walking foot (even feed foot) - good for our fleece issue because the foot has feed dogs and feeds evenly.
    -rolled hemmer foot - has a funnel to roll the fabric into a consistent hem.
    -edge foot - has a guide plate so your top stitch will be straight & even from the edge of the fabric.
    -adjustable blind hem foot - can be used the same as an edge foot but adjustable.
    -overlock foot - makes serger like anti-fray hems. Must be at minimum a zigzag machine.
    -roller foot - has rollers, good for leather, PVC types. Would probably work for cuben well.
    -zipper foot - has a grove to run an even stitch.

There are tons more, but these are some of the more useful ones for our projects.
    Not in my case. My sewing machine has a waking foot and it did not help (enough). The fleece got stretched under the presser foot before the waking foot so I ended up with x inches of extra fleece at the end of the seam.
    If I could reduce the presser foot force (downwards) it may not have happened but I cannot so…..
    With all respect cotton and nylon cannot be compared. There is a huge difference in the friction and I believe that is or could be the issue if it’s not pinned (I did not).

It is not about my failed project but just to clarify I a had nylon at the bottom and fleece on the top and the plan was to fold the nylon over later but I stopped before.
    Last edited by Snowball; 04-12-2015 at 06:19.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts