Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    My wife and I watch "Fons and Potter" a sewing and quilting show on PBS and they use a protective glove I think made of kevlar. I am thinking I am going to invest in one. It is so easy to think it won't happen and it does.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Never thought about the dangers of such a thing, good to be warned about it in case i ever touch one!

Hope it heels fast and nice!

canoebie
    I looked into cut resistant gloves some time ago and i tink dyneema gloves might be a bette choice having the same or better cut resistance for thinner gloves (better touch)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stitches are cool.
    Just kidding, hope her finger is feeling better. The throbbing is the worst!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    My wife and I watch "Fons and Potter" a sewing and quilting show on PBS and they use a protective glove I think made of kevlar. I am thinking I am going to invest in one. It is so easy to think it won't happen and it does.
    My wife and a friend were there a couple of years ago. The main lady came down to visit with our friend about rotary cutter safety because of an accident she had. Arlend had knocked it off of the cutting table and it hit her foot. She was bare foot at the time. The cut into her foot got tendons to her toes and nerves in the foot. Surgery to repair the injury.

Lucky for my wife she did not cut any tendons and it did not get into the nail bed. She said it hurts so hope no nerve damage.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hoping for a speedy healing.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger

I hope she is fine. Injuries like that make you aware of how much you take fingers and thumbs for granted.

My woodworking experience dictates that I look at the direction of the cutting tool and predict where and what it is going to cut. My rule of thumb is to not start the cut until I'm ready. I have put my rotary cutter down, shut off the table saw and drill press because I looked down and realized how close I had come to putting my hands in a dangerous situation.

I've thought about a straight edge jig for the rotary cutter that will keep my hands away from the edge. Perhaps now it is time to get a little more serious about it.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post

I hope she is fine. Injuries like that make you aware of how much you take fingers and thumbs for granted.

My woodworking experience dictates that I look at the direction of the cutting tool and predict where and what it is going to cut. My rule of thumb is to not start the cut until I'm ready. I have put my rotary cutter down, shut off the table saw and drill press because I looked down and realized how close I had come to putting my hands in a dangerous situation.

I've thought about a straight edge jig for the rotary cutter that will keep my hands away from the edge. Perhaps now it is time to get a little more serious about it.
    I've got a shop full of woodworking tools. Any one of them could do considerable damage. Allways need to be aware of safety.
    Your idea of a jig for the rotary cutter is good. Not sure how to make one that would be good for all situations. Getting her to use it might be another problem.
    Need to buy her a protective glove.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Your idea of a jig for the rotary cutter is good. Not sure how to make one that would be good for all situations.
    I was thinking along the lines of a fence that has a couple handles along the length to hold onto. The handles spaced out could let you apply pressure where you need it and keep your hands away from the cutter. I would also cut up a sanding pad and add it to the bottom so it would stop the slip. Perhaps it might be easier to model one and show you.

Getting her to use it might be another problem.
    After the stitches ..... might not be as hard as you think.

Need to buy her a protective glove.
    This might be the easiest solution.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    look for "butcher's glove"; they are made of fine linked chainmail- resist all knds of slicing situations. not terribly expensive when considering the alternative!
    HTH,KM

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12