Hammock
    DIY Hennessy modified
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    reflective bubble
    Suspension
    whoopie

Hammock for bigger 300 lb 6 foot plus hanger.

I've been learning and practicing the hammock hang for years now camping. I recently started a Boy Scout Venturing Crew with a good friend and he is interested in getting off the ground. In fact, I've infected the whole crew and we will likely be a bunch of ultralight traveling hangers. I think it's great, and want to help my friend get a hammock but he is a really big guy and I'm having a bit of a time finding good information to help him here. It seems some of the manufacturers will make a heavier hanger big hammock but I think a DIY for him would be a better choice. Is there a specific weight or strength of fabric to get or is it just better to get him a hammock made by a good manufacturer and try that first? Any first hand experience out there? Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I am a "big guy" and I start hammock camping just over a year ago because of going camping with my son's scout troop. I am 5'7" and 350lbs, so I qualify to make sure that my products I use are FGA (Fat Guy Approved). I started with a Kammock Roo, which is rated for 500lbs and is 9 1/2 ft long. It was comfortable and never gave me any trouble. There are many vendors out there with hammock that are capable of holding the weight of a 300 lb person. As for the height, this person may want to look for a hammock of 11ft. The ENO doublenet, Kammock Roo, Grand Trunks, and your cottage vendors like Dream Hammock can all provide good hammock to fit the need. The DYI is an option and the 1.9 taffeta double layered should be fine to support the weight. Junebug Dawn of Palmetto State Hangers should be able to verify this. I hope your friend finds a great hammock to enable him to get off the ground.
    Happy Hanging,
    Scredneck

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A lot of big fellas like the tablecloth hammocks - can't get much cheaper.

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Home made
    Insulation
    Home made under qu
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I am 6'1" and 300lb when I started hanging last year. I have the double nest ENO and it works good for me and price is right for a starter. I may upgrade this year to something different just to see if any are better

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I was your size when I started and the Warbonnet Blackbird has served me very well. The hammock has allowed me to be a lot more active, because I'm not so gimped up from lying on the ground outdoors. I've often wondered if other hammockers have lost weight too, or have otherwise had infirmities improve since engaging in hammockry. I find that laying on my aching back in my hammock actually, improves my back.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

+ 1 for the wbbb.

6'5 at 350 using a Grand Trunk Double.... Holds me and my 4 year old bouncing boy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    As a big guy (6' formerly 310 lbs), the 1 potential issue with the GT and ENO hammocks is stretch. You have to hang them a bit higher/tighter to end up where you want to be in the morning and that means your lay changes slightly as the hammock sags. For that reason, I prefer the tablecloth for open air usage. The girls on the other hand (being tiny) prefer the give (softer support) of the ENO/GT. During mosquito season I'm now a WBBB XLC guy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    https://diygearsupply.com/product/ta...mock-blank-xl/

Great DYI black that eliminates the need to sew. Throw some 1/8 amsteel whoopie slings in there hook up to some tree straps and your good to go.

Pretty satisfied with my ENO double, yes you do get more stretch but IMO it adds to the comfort. Also cant say enough good things for the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kdzcouple View Post
    I've been learning and practicing the hammock hang for years now camping. I recently started a Boy Scout Venturing Crew with a good friend and he is interested in getting off the ground. In fact, I've infected the whole crew and we will likely be a bunch of ultralight traveling hangers. I think it's great, and want to help my friend get a hammock but he is a really big guy and I'm having a bit of a time finding good information to help him here. It seems some of the manufacturers will make a heavier hanger big hammock but I think a DIY for him would be a better choice. Is there a specific weight or strength of fabric to get or is it just better to get him a hammock made by a good manufacturer and try that first? Any first hand experience out there? Thanks.
    425 Lbs, 6 ft 2 - Dream hammock Thunderbird - 1.6 dual layer Hyper d fabric, 11 ft long - Perfect !!

THUNDERBIRD.JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast