nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie

smoky trip

Thought you all might be amused by a report about my just-completed Smoky Mountains AT trip. Includes some “look how smart I am” as well as “what an idiot I am” moments.

I was afraid I might have to sleep on the platforms in the shelters, so I planned to get through the smokies in 3 nights. The backcountry reservations guy did try to discourage me from hammocking, saying if others saw me doing it, they would want to also!!! He couldn’t find a regulation forbidding it, so…. Mostly, they just really seem to want you to be inside the shelters.

Starting at Fontana Dam, I spent my first night at Spence Field, second night at Double Springs, third night at Pecks Corner, fourth night just out of the park at Standing Bear Hostel, and fifth night at Max Patch road, farther to the north of the Park.

I brought a new Neoair to act as my only bottom insulation – either in my ultralight travel hammock if able to use it, or on the shelter platform – thinking I’d come up with a flexible and light solution to deal with forced ground sleeping. Fortunately, I was able to hang my hammock in each of the shelters. A typical hang was between a front eating area post and the main roof support beam, with the head end tight to the post. With a mostly full shelter at Double Springs no one seemed to mind – in fact, I think it helped to get me out of the platform hoard. I just waited to set up after everyone was done eating. On a night alone at Pecks I was able to hang from the roof joists – really, a perfect situation – as long as you have enough line.
    The neoair was pretty comfortable. Just had the standard “how do I pivot my butt on this surface to get into place” problem. Worked it out more or less the same as on a piece of foam. My neoair is a size small, and fit fine. It is narrow enough so that it didn’t deform too much because of the hammock pinch, and with night temps above 50 it was all I needed. Would love thoughts on the butt-pivot sticky surface question… Also, I do wonder what would happen if I combined my neoair with my JRB torso length UQ for winter use – would they work well together? I am really impressed with the weight and feel of the neoair… but would normally use just an UQ except maybe in extreme conditions.

The funniest night was the last – It was almost as if I’d forgotten how to use my hammock since I’d been in the shelters for a while. It was raining quite hard, and I was both wet and tired. I set my hammock and fly up perfectly, just a little worried that one of the trees was too flexible… and, well, it was. So, there I was with my fly and hammock set up, starting to get really cold, and trying to figure out the easiest way to recover… oh, and being a weight freak, I use the HH lashing for my hammock, and a slip knot for a separate fly. I did manage to pivot the whole thing on the larger tree, and rehang from another tree without getting everything completely soaked. I climbed into the hammock, and noticed that the coverage from my HH stock fly seemed worse than I remembered it, but just slept on less of a diagonal than I normally would. In the morning, I noticed that I had hung the assym fly – exactly the wrong way from the diagonal I was sleeping on!!! And for a midnight last straw, I’ve been practicing the “pee from the hammock” move, and managed to pee into my trail runners!

You know, I had a wonderful time, as I always do, but wanted to share the laugh.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Great story, lazarus. Felt like I was in your hip pocket. Thanks!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good report.
    Totally with ya on the hanging inside the shelters bit. I never slept on the ground last year going through the Smokies. The shelters there are excellent for hanging.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    And for a midnight last straw, I’ve been practicing the “pee from the hammock” move, and managed to pee into my trail runners!
    Ah, yes. I remember this experience like it was yesterday. The good news is it only takes once to lock that one away in the long term memory files.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    ... and managed to pee into my trail runners!
    Exactly, my fear each night.
    Nice report!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Mostly, they just really seem to want you to be inside the shelters.

And for a midnight last straw, I’ve been practicing the “pee from the hammock” move, and managed to pee into my trail runners!

females NEVER do that!!!

on to a side question.... are these shelters closed in or something??? Why do you "have to" be inside the shelter??? Can you stealth hang in the Smokies?
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    are these shelters closed in or something??? Why do you "have to" be inside the shelter??? Can you stealth hang in the Smokies?
    TinaLouise
    Most of the shelters in the Smokies have the front covered with large blue tarps. A couple still have chain-link fence across the front, because you know that's gonna keep the bears out. On the AT in the Smokies, the regulations require that all camping is done inside the shelters until such time as the shelter is full (there are capacity signs on the walls). When that happens it becomes acceptable to set-up camp very near the shelter. Too much use and they don't want the destruction brought by so many hikers to be spread out all over the place, so they consolidate it to the shelters and immediate area. Stealth camping is very much frowned upon, but exceptionally unlikely to be detected since there are only one or two 'officials' on the AT during any given time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

females NEVER do that!!!

on to a side question.... are these shelters closed in or something??? Why do you "have to" be inside the shelter??? Can you stealth hang in the Smokies?
    TinaLouise
    in the Smokies you must stay in the shelters or designtated camp spots. there is only one campsite that i am aware of on the a.t. section. there are i believe 800 miles of trails and over 100 campsites. some are reservation sites, meaning exactly that you must call and reserve them. the others you must fill out a permit. they are all free of charge, they just need to limit the number of people that are there. it is the most visited nataional park.
    if you are a thur hiker (meaining that you are starting 50 miles outside and will travel 50 miles on the other side) you don't have to make reservations. just fill out the permitt. it also allows you to camp outside the shelter if you get there and it is full. but otherwise its inside you stay.
    there could be large fines for stealthing.
    beas
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie

females NEVER do that!!!

TinaLouise
    ...I am a bit of a scaredy cat camper... the bear population is so large in the smokies, and they are so accustomed to stupid people with food, and are never hunted, so that i was afraid to stealth camp. i did use those handy bear cables at each shelter. funny thing was, at max patch there was a written warning at the trail head about a "smart bear that will get your food" and i just slept with it!

and you thought i'd remember not to pee in my trail runners!

• + New Posts