Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie

Smallest continuous loop of amsteel blue possible.

What is the smallest continuous loop I can make out of amsteel blue and it be load bearing. I have made continuous loops out of amsteel, I just don't know how small is the smallest loop I could make and it be safe.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    4" buries would be as short as I would go, whatever diameter that makes.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've made continuous loops as small as 6.5 inch diametre before. It's not the manufacturer's recommended bury lengths but I was fine with it and they have held up well. You can take your own risks as long as you know what is recommended. I don't know off hand what the buries should be for continuous loops but I know it's longer than the 3 inches I made them.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Mark8408
    I really don't know but remember someone posted a diagram of a continuos loop and the BURYS passed each other and overlapped inside the loop. I don't know if this works. Also you can double the loop like a figure 8 then fold it in half that way the rope takes two laps around instead of one lap and then your 'doubled loop' is half the length as before. And or you can wrap the loop extra wraps on gathered end of hammock making it extend a shorter distance from hammock. Before you had a cow hitch or larks head and now you've got a two or three wrap prusik. Or you can tie an alpine butterfly loop but that might weaken the amsteel too much and then you've got a knot too.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I am not sure what will be your application but, I have made soft-shackles with much smaller radius than anything I've been able to make continuous.

Would that be an option for you?
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do value a smaller continuous loop through the channels of my gathered-end hammocks. Twelve-inch continuous loops are too long. About the smallest I'll go is a 4.2 inch bury.

I basically took Opie's continuous loop pictoral and decided to cut down all lengths by 30 percent.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...+loop+pictoral

Opie recommends starting with 40 inches of Amsteel Blue, and six inch buries to make a 12" diameter loop. So I just used 70% of those measurements. I start with 28 inches of Amsteel Blue, 4.2 inch buries, and it makes about an 8.4" diameter loop.

I think I started using the smaller measurements after I got my first Buttinasling hammock. First thing I noticed was how much smaller the BIAS continuous loops were than my DIY versions. I asked Shane what measurements he was using and have been making my continuous loops that way ever since.

I lock stitch the buries on all my continuous loops - makes me feel better about not using manufacturer's recommended bury length.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Mark8408
    I really don't know but remember someone posted a diagram of a continuos loop and the BURYS passed each other and overlapped inside the loop. I don't know if this works...
    Only if the only overlapping sections are both tapered so that the combined diameter is not greater than a single section would be and therefore it would have a minimum effect on length.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    using the recommended bury length my continuous loops usually come out to a dia. of between 8-8.5". to get shorter try this (picked it up from another forum member but don't remember who) since there are two buries make one of them 'full' length 8" for 7/64 and cut the second bury shorter say 3-4". if you have an 8" and a 3" bury and they meet end to end you should be able to get a 5.5" loop (8+3)/2

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Mark8408
    I really don't know but remember someone posted a diagram of a continuos loop and the BURYS passed each other and overlapped inside the loop. I don't know if this works.
    I've done a couple of loops with overlapped burys, it's actually easy to do. You just make sure both ends are equally tapered so they dont create a bulge where they overlap. You get a bit of bunching when you pull the second bury through initially, but as you milk it out, the tapers inside are pulling away from each other so it neatens out. I'm not sure how it affects the strength of the splice.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You need only one bury for the strength. Think of an eye splice. When I want a small loop, I bury one side to the manufacturers recommended length and just tuck a 1" tail into the other side. A few loose hand stitches keeps everything from falling apart when not tensioned.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast