Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bubble mat, ccf
    Suspension
    cinch buclkes

My friend is interested in getting a hammock

My friend is interested in getting into hammocking and i was wondering what i should tell him to get. Any opinions? Please keep in mind that we are both 15 and we do not have access to large amounts of money.
    Thanks!
    Happy Hangin'

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Get a hammock from Dutch is what would go with since money is an issue.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Just ordered a 11' NylonD hammock from Dutch. ~$40 delivered.
    Should be here tomorrow...can't wait!!!
    My first hammock was a Grand Trunk Single. Great hammock but it cost me $55. I expect that after a few nights in the Dutch hammock, I'll wish I had spent that $55 on gear instead. Like a bug net or something...
    Oh well, now I have an extra in case the wife wants to start hanging :-)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    Get a hammock from Dutch is what would go with since money is an issue.
    Yes....this!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Another vote for one of Dutch's hammocks. They are an incredible value. Keep in mind that the price quoted here is just for the hammock, you'll spend a bit more to include the suspension but that's pretty common for most hammocks. You tend to only get suspension systems included on the more expensive hammocks. Best of luck.

Equip hammock from Wal-Mart is surprisingly good

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    Being 15..... I'd bet your not entirely fully grown yet... I'd go Walmart equip hammock.... And a hank of rope... Easily come in under 30....

Walmart equip hammock got me started and it comes with ropes just long enough to tinker with

Even better a set of cheap ratchet straps without the ratchet. Or with the buckle.....

Note; above info is based on my experience as a 15yr old with a 5$ a week allowance for chores... And shovelling and mowing for 10 bucks a pop minus gas... Therefore 50-60 for a function suspending dutch shipped would take months to acrue...... Going the walmart route u can take your extra 20 and get a large standard blue tarp..... Let's u get out and try it without breaking the bank.
    Last edited by PaPaZeus; 04-19-2015 at 22:33.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I own a Walmart equip hammock as well and it is surprisingly good. Having said that, I'd still recommend a Dutch hammock first unless you can find the equip on sale. I think I paid $14 for mine. Regular price is in the low $20's. For the extra $10-15 you get a much more comfortable hammock with a double sided stuff sack and it will weigh less and pack much better than the equip. I found the suspension system on the equip to be nearly useless so you can't count that as a plus, IMHO. Still, the low stretch fabric on the equip is what sold me on a Dutch PolyD. Either way you go gets you a decent hammock for a good starter price. Best of luck.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by georgehammocks424 View Post
    My friend is interested in getting into hammocking and i was wondering what i should tell him to get. Any opinions? Please keep in mind that we are both 15 and we do not have access to large amounts of money.
    Thanks!
    Happy Hangin'
    You have two options as I see it.
    1) Make a tablecloth hammock, and use hardware store suspension or
    2) Buy one of Dutch's hammocks with suspension.

You'll probably save $30 or so with the first option. The Tablecloth will be about $20 for one or $32 for two (with shipping/handling). You can get two harbor freight lashing straps for $4 (for both of you $8). Buy some heavy duty hardware store rings, (you'll need 4 apiece, or about $8 for each hammock). Then you'll need some good rope (1000 lb break minimum) for about $10 (again split), and a hank of small cord to whip the hammock ($5). Let's say you share shipping with friend, then you can probably get by with $75 or so for the two of you. Or instead of that, you can do the tablecloths ($32 for two), and get dutchware cinch buckle suspension for $25 apiece ($50 total), and $5 for cord, and get a very good setup for about $45 apiece.

I do know you can do the 2nd for about $74 with state of the art cinch buckle suspension (and shipping) at Dutchware ($71 apiece if you split shipping with friend).
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/argon-hammock.html

Either choice, you also need to get a tarp. A poly blue 8x12 tarp should do for now. Not sure the costs, but you can get those locally.

I have the first setup with Dutchware cinch buckles. I like it, but would to option 2 if I were starting from scratch with the knowledge that I have. When my hammock wears out or breaks, I'm replacing it with one of the 11' Dutch hammocks, not sure which cloth.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
    Being 15..... I'd bet your not entirely fully grown yet... I'd go Walmart equip hammock.... And a hank of rope... Easily come in under 30....

Walmart equip hammock got me started and it comes with ropes just long enough to tinker with

Even better a set of cheap ratchet straps without the ratchet. Or with the buckle.....

Note; above info is based on my experience as a 15yr old with a 5$ a week allowance for chores... And shovelling and mowing for 10 bucks a pop minus gas... Therefore 50-60 for a function suspending dutch shipped would take months to acrue...... Going the walmart route u can take your extra 20 and get a large standard blue tarp..... Let's u get out and try it without breaking the bank.
    IMHO, suggesting ropes at all is irresponsible. Needs to have straps, regardless. Harbor Freight has pretty cheap 1" lashing straps ($4 a pair) that are ideal for this purpose. I used them to suspend my 250 lbs without any problems.

Not sure your age, but $10 for mowing is cheap these days. My sons get $20 for mowing a 1/3 acre lot with house.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts