Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

Gear Hammock, Sliced Bread, Bacon Glory

DIY Gear Hammock

Best thing since sliced bread.

All for the glory of free bacon.

Backstory:
    MAHHA raffle winner wants donated hammock turned into a gear hammock. A bacon based bargain was struck. Flying leap down the rabbit whole, original material discarded, a couple prototypes, over thinking, over built, underwhelming prototype, back to basics, beautiful, functional kit.

All I can say is, I absolutely love having a gear hammock. A huge storage area next to, but not in my hammock. Water resistant or water proof or just plain gear hammock. Gear hammock, hammock chair, pack cover, mini tarp, signal flag, water bag, all possible.

Sure I have seen them around for years, heard they are "the first thing I setup at camp", "store all my gear" in one, "saved my gear from the rain" in one but until you use one, it's just another one of those nifty hammocking nuggets whose true value and usefulness will elude you.

Do yourself a favor, make one, buy one, commission one (word has it the can be traded for bacon), borrow one but get one. Just too convenient not to have one.

My typical contents, jacket, hat, classes, phone, keys, shoes/boots, cpap, battery, book, kindle, flash light, misc gear. It's a ridgeline organizer on steriods that doesn't whack me in the head when I sit up.

Old news to many, plenty of versions available, never too late to try one, very light weight options available, get one or make one, love having mine.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Early prototype, nothing special, just a small hammock that's handy.
    Pic blatantly ripped from Chris183

Hanging along side an XLC. Little tough to see but hanging it next to your hammock is easy and surprisingly didn't annoy me because it hangs just below head and shoulder level.

Making and using one reminded me of splicing my first amsteel whoopie, satisfying and useful and even a little fun.

Took the 8 year old all of 30 seconds to ask, "When are you making mine? I need one."

H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    ...Took the 8 year old all of 30 seconds to ask, "When are you making mine? I need one."
    Hey, Ratdog! You're a convert, now, and it shows in your zeal! I second, confirm, thumbs-up, +1, ditto, and knowingly nod-'n-wink, all the praiseworthy attributes you're singing. Your worm's been turned, and so has that long-procrastinated corner. Congratulations to you, your woodsy livin's just taken an important step (Giant leap?) towards increased comfort, convenience AND confidence. Confidence, cuz you'll always know where your keepings're kept, and you'll be keepin' 'em clean, dry, safe, and handily convenient. And besides, really, shouldn't we love our gear, as we love ourselves? We pack it, we lean hard on it, we (often) brag on it, and we show-'n-tell it to all comers, right? So, why not hang it as we hang ourselves? Anyway, the 8-year-old knows a good thing when he(?) sees it! Apparently he's already put in his order to have one commissioned in his honor! Good kid!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Hey Pete, does your new gear hammock close in any way? zippers or velcro or is it just like a mini hammock?, maybe i cold use the 5 foot hammock chair as a gear hammock?, is it really that simple.??

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The one in the pic is basically just a mini hammock with shockcord around the perimeter. The latest version is different, has a flap and is sewn partially shut. Still working out a few kinks making it multipurpose.

A hammock chair will work just fine if you keep it under your tarp.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    The one in the pic is basically just a mini hammock with shockcord around the perimeter. The latest version is different, has a flap and is sewn partially shut. Still working out a few kinks making it multipurpose.

A hammock chair will work just fine if you keep it under your tarp.

Thanks, that's what i think i'll do, or i can make it it's own little mini tarp that can also be used to sit in like a chair in the rain !!.
    Could just use one of those yukon outfitters rain flys that we picked up for $20.00.
    Crap, now you got me thinking about another project.

Images
    Ha, I see you've grown fond of the gear hammock. I never leave home without mine as well...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex (cat-cut)
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopified
    Images
    Awe man! Just when I think I'm seeing the end of the project I need to undertake.

But... Yay!

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    I agree.. Gear hammocks are great! Keeps everything off the ground and easily accessible when in the hammock

gear hammock.jpg
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hey Fall, awesome pics!!! In that last winter one, is that a stove pipe I see coming out of your tarp? Just when you think you've seen it all...Awesome!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast